Worried by rank

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Katteach1

Worried by rank

Post by Katteach1 »

Hi All
I know we don’t have a crystal ball but Im after a little reassurance!
My dd ranked 419 for Ribston and and 900 for crypt, she also ranked for SHS and HSFG but lower!
We liked Ribston and Crypt but DD loved Ribston!
I’m trying to fill the CAF in and I’m planning on putting Ribston first but the rank concerns me! Is it too low and would be a big risk?
Many thanks
Kat x
hermanmunster

Re: Worried by rank

Post by hermanmunster »

Have a look at this thread from last year : https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 16&t=53721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks to me like we had info that people down to 503 rank on Ribston got offered places but suggest you have a read of the whole thread to see what ranks people had and whether they were offered
Katteach1

Post by Katteach1 »

Thank you HermanMunster
She would have gained a place the last 2 years with her current rank
I’m over analysing it as I’m trying to work out factors that would affect ranks this year!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

the only way to guarantee not getting a place is to not put it on the form, do you have another school you would be happy with ? if so put that second, it will not affect your chance of being offered a place if you don't get Ribston
jearund

Post by jearund »

I agree completely with hermanmunster. If Ribston is your first choice then put it first. As you say, you'd have easily got a place with that ranking last year. And even if you don't, you should go on the waiting list - this will move quite a bit after the appeals. They went down to at least 536 after appeals last year, because many spaces were freed up when people appealing to Crypt, HSFG and SHS were successful, thereby releasing places at Ribston. There may not be so much movement this year as Crypt set the pass mark too low last year and filled a lot of spaces on appeal, but I think you'll get in regardless with your DD's score.
Amber

Post by Amber »

There is no 'risk' attached to putting Ribston first on your CAF unless below it you also list 4 schools you are unsure of qualifying for. You should list the schools in the order of your actual preference as the equal first preference system means that you will be offered a place at the highest ranked school you are qualified for. You do need to make absolutely sure, however, that on that list is one school you will definitely get into and which you are happy with.
Katteach1

Post by Katteach1 »

Thank you all
So you wouldn’t recommend putting
Ribston
Crypt
Stroud high
Then 2 local comps we like
Would it be safer to put
Ribston
Local comps we like
Sorry for all the questions I’m really new to this
:shock:
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

If your preferred order is Ribston, Crypt and then SHS followed by the two comps then definitely put them down in this order. :D
If you put the comps second and third then are very unlikely to you get Crypt or SHS if these are listed below.
jearund

Post by jearund »

Kat,
Don't worry about being new to it - we all are for our first child! We went through this last year for DD, this year we have the year off, then next year it's DS's turn.
The way it works is: GCC will look at your first choice and see whether you fulfil the criteria to get a place. For grammar schools, this means whether you ranked highly enough. For comps it's usually distance and/or catchment area (compared to other applicants).
If you meet the criteria, you get a place. If not (e.g. if all the places at Ribston were filled by people higher on the list), they move onto your second choice, which effectively now becomes your first choice. So if you put a comp second, and lived near enough, you'd get that. They wouldn't even consider Crypt. If, however, you put Crypt second then they will consider your Crypt ranking alongside those of all the people who put Crypt first (or third, fourth etc) and if you rank high enough they will give you a place there. And so it continues. So don't worry about safe rankings, just put your genuine order of preference. But as Amber said, your last choice should be a local comp you live close enough to that you would get a place. Because if you don't include a safe choice at the bottom and don't get a place at any of the schools on the list, they will allocate you the closest school that has unfilled places once they've dealt with everyone else - which may be a school you don't like, or one some distance away.
To sum up: the order should be Ribston, Crypt, SHS, local comp 1 and local comp 2 (the last 2 also in order of which you'd prefer).
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Your CAF ranking should be based on your genuine order of preference.

All schools must follow the equal preference system.

Equal preference requires the admission authority to consider all preferences received for a particular school (first, second, third, fourth and fifth) equally and, where the school is oversubscribed, apply the oversubscription criteria. Where more than one preference can be met the local authority will offer the highest ranking CAF preference.

Nobody will go wrong if they place the schools in their true order of preference and include in last place a safe school - usually local catchment school.

People have missed out on being allocated schools by assuming incorrectly their score/ranking was not good enough.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now