2018 Gloucestershire - ranks/scores only please. Entry 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jearund

Re: 2018 Gloucestershire - ranks/scores only please.

Post by jearund »

MonaB wrote:
Any idea what the chances are for reconsideration and waiting lists?
Well no, because it all depends on how many children don't take up their places on March 1st or are successful in appeals to other schools, thus freeing up spaces at the school they originally had a place at. So you may have a few more months of uncertainty. The lists continue to move until well into July.

But your son may still get a place on 1 March so don't worry too much about that just yet!
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

Went to Ribston open day today and they said they offered places down to 575 last year, quite a lot more than the 503 reported on here

We are 421 for SHS-any chance that they offered further than the 375 reported on here?
SHS did go further than the 375 on March 1st - I remember that there were people on here who were picking up places from the WL in May.

However, as I have posted in response to you on another thread, they did not go beyond early 400s - based on knowledge of another child's ranking for SHS and the fact that they were not offered a place.
Kingsway

Post by Kingsway »

Hi we are in the same position. DD was ranked in the 150 range as rank and then we were emailed this morning to say it was a technical error at Crypt and she is now unqualified. We have left 2 messages for the head to call us back but nothing so far. Having explained this to DD tonight has been very stressful and upsetting to all of us.
Jean18

Post by Jean18 »

I did post on another thread that there is a 'technical error' from STR's as well as Crypt...maybe others - I wonder if this has resulted from the LEA as it would - I assume - be their job to compile overall lists for the schools - as that's where you apply in the first place to sit the test? and paper submissions are all sent to the LEA.
cazien

Post by cazien »

Jean18 wrote:I did post on another thread that there is a 'technical error' from STR's as well as Crypt...maybe others - I wonder if this has resulted from the LEA as it would - I assume - be their job to compile overall lists for the schools - as that's where you apply in the first place to sit the test? and paper submissions are all sent to the LEA.
I don't think the LEA get involved at this point in time.
CEM produce and mark papers and send the results to the schools in a spreadsheet format. If memory serves me correctly you apply to sit the test via a school website not the LEA. CEM could have changed format of the results spreadsheet or included incorrect results, which puts the schools at fault as they issue the results.
amiliya

Post by amiliya »

Hi, My DD got

HSFG 177
Stroud 163
Crypt 1st email got 440
2nd email got 389
Ribston 166

If anyone can suggest please that she will get in HSFG, because my DD likes HSFG. I dont know last time how much rankings get in to HSFG.
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

177 will be enough for HSFG. They went to at least 220 last year.
MonaB

Post by MonaB »

Anybody know what rankings Crypt went down to last year? No one is replying to my email regarding this question at Crypt.
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

MonaB,

the problem is crypt only ranked to 600 last year despite twice the number of shares. The eventual number was mid 800s I believe but they had to write to children they had already told that they didn’t qualify in order to fill the PAN

I said before on the other thread that I thought 811 would have been ok but that’s just my gut feel. Your DCs new rank makes that a little more likely.

There are 1020/1050 places for grammar school students in Gloucestershire (if my maths is correct). If every child could share with every school at least one school would accept the child ranked 1020th. The complication comes in that not all children share with every school and if 150 of those ahead of you want crypt as their first choice then it’s not good news.

Good luck come March, I’m sorry you are in for a nervous wait.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

MonaB, last year was complicated with Crypt. Look through some of the threads from last March for the full details but the summary is this:

Crypt qualified only 600 children
On allocation day it gave out 79 places and had 71 to fill.
The school emailed all the families with children in the top 600 and said “would you like to reconsider your decision to send your child to Pates/STRS/HSFG etc?”
Tumbleweed
The school then emailed the children who ranked between 600 and 800 and said “you’ve now qualified for Crypt. Would you like to send your child here?”
They got about 30 more children this way.
Then they held lots of appeals, and children scoring well into the 900s got places.

So if your ds has a score in the 700s, it’s likely that he has a decent chance at Crypt, but it’s still settling down and no-one really knows what to expect. If it has a surge in popularity this year then the traditional grammar school preference order may change. A lot of families will be upset by the ranking fiasco but I don’t think that’ll put people off, as it’s a good school.