2018 Gloucestershire - ranks/scores only please. Entry 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MonaB

Re: 2018 Gloucestershire - ranks/scores only please.

Post by MonaB »

Legofan wrote:MonaB,

the problem is crypt only ranked to 600 last year despite twice the number of shares. The eventual number was mid 800s I believe but they had to write to children they had already told that they didn’t qualify in order to fill the PAN

I said before on the other thread that I thought 811 would have been ok but that’s just my gut feel. Your DCs new rank makes that a little more likely.

There are 1020/1050 places for grammar school students in Gloucestershire (if my maths is correct). If every child could share with every school at least one school would accept the child ranked 1020th. The complication comes in that not all children share with every school and if 150 of those ahead of you want crypt as their first choice then it’s not good news.

Good luck come March, I’m sorry you are in for a nervous wait.
Thank you for your explanation. I am finally starting to feel better now and can now only hope for the best come allocation day.
MonaB

Post by MonaB »

Lysander wrote:MonaB, last year was complicated with Crypt. Look through some of the threads from last March for the full details but the summary is this:

Crypt qualified only 600 children
On allocation day it gave out 79 places and had 71 to fill.
The school emailed all the families with children in the top 600 and said “would you like to reconsider your decision to send your child to Pates/STRS/HSFG etc?”
Tumbleweed
The school then emailed the children who ranked between 600 and 800 and said “you’ve now qualified for Crypt. Would you like to send your child here?”
They got about 30 more children this way.
Then they held lots of appeals, and children scoring well into the 900s got places.

So if your ds has a score in the 700s, it’s likely that he has a decent chance at Crypt, but it’s still settling down and no-one really knows what to expect. If it has a surge in popularity this year then the traditional grammar school preference order may change. A lot of families will be upset by the ranking fiasco but I don’t think that’ll put people off, as it’s a good school.

Thank You Lysander, all your advice has been so helpful to me and I’m glad you took time to reply to so many of my questions and have made me feel so much better! Can now only hope for the best on March 1st 2019 for my son whom I’ve kept in the dark about new ranking.
Moosegoose

Post by Moosegoose »

So.
We had offer from pates, then email retracting offer.
Had crypt 820, then email yesterday changing that to 740.
Marling 344.

We want marling, what do you think our chances are this year?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Moosegoose wrote:So.
Had crypt 820, then email yesterday changing that to 740.
Marling 344.

We want marling, what do you think our chances are this year?
Pate’s also?!
Fairypig

Post by Fairypig »

We were 819 but have only gone to 776 from the new email which is strange compared to yours moose goose?
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:
Moosegoose wrote:So.
Pate’s also?!
Not an offer, surely?

Marling ranking sounds safe to me, but who knows this year? If anyone has been put off by the Crypt thing, Marling may surge ahead in popularity.
MonaB

Post by MonaB »

I contacted all the schools my sons results were shared with to re confirm his rankings and have heard back from all of them now. Below are the final rankings.

Marling Top 150
STR 419
Crypt 767
Pates 815
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

STRS 364 - qualified but unlikely
Pates - 684 - not qualified
Crypt - 688 - qualified

Really disappointed but DS was in a bike v car accident 2 weeks before the exam and had some serious issues
jearund

Post by jearund »

Tinnyknickers wrote:STRS 364 - qualified but unlikely
Pates - 684 - not qualified
Crypt - 688 - qualified

Really disappointed but DS was in a bike v car accident 2 weeks before the exam and had some serious issues
Sounds like the basis for an appeal to me.....
Moosegoose

Post by Moosegoose »

Apologies, not an offer, but email saying he had met qualifying standard...then 15 mins later email saying he hadn’t... then a third email to confirm that he def hadn’t...