Crypt Primary School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Birdbridge

Crypt Primary School

Post by Birdbridge »

I've heard about the plans to create a Crypt Primary School on the existing campus - does anyone know whether this has actually been approved and is moving forward and if so, when?
cazien

Re: Crypt Primary School

Post by cazien »

The last piece of correspondence parents received said the application for finance had been submitted when/if approved, plans would be submitted at a later stage this year. The new school would not open until at least 2020.
Birdbridge

Post by Birdbridge »

Oh wow 2020 is not that far away. How do Crypt parents feel about this? It’s definitely good for the local community around Crypt....

but on the other hand doesn’t it kind of ruin the exclusivity of the school?
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Birdbridge wrote:Oh wow 2020 is not that far away. How do Crypt parents feel about this? It’s definitely good for the local community around Crypt....

How does it ruin the ‘exclusivity’ of the school (altho the whole point of grammars is to educate bright children, not be exclusive!) The idea is to unlock the potential of local children who have the aptitude to attend a grammar school but at present maybe don’t have the aspiration or preparation. It won’t affect Crypt accepting children who attain the qualifying standard in the 11+ but I guess if you attend the primary and qualify then you have priority....I don’t know the fine details tho
Amber

Post by Amber »

Birdbridge wrote:but on the other hand doesn’t it kind of ruin the exclusivity of the school?
It's Crypt not Eton. I don't think anyone would describe it as exclusive, and I don't think it aspires to be either. If this is what someone is looking for I suggest maybe an expensive private school might be more their thing.
cazien

Post by cazien »

Birdbridge wrote:Oh wow 2020 is not that far away. How do Crypt parents feel about this? It’s definitely good for the local community around Crypt....

2020 is the earliest it would open. As the application process and approval of new schools are constantly being delayed it will probably be later.

I believe parents approved of the plan and, yes, it would benefit the local community. The five primary schools local to Crypt have significantly lower standards for maths, writing and reading than the national average which is what Crypt want to address.

I never thought about ruining the "exclusivity" of the school. If anything it may actually make it exclusive - as it would probably be the only Grammar who also have a Primary School!