HSFG v Ribston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Birdbridge

HSFG v Ribston

Post by Birdbridge »

Now that we (finally!) know DDs results we are deciding between HSFG and Ribston. We’ve been to see both schools during day and evening visits and plan to go again next week. Aside from questions to the teachers and students during the open days we don’t know any parents personally who have kids at these schools that we can speak honestly with.

I know each school is so different and it’s like comparing apples and oranges but was just hoping some of you could share your frank thoughts about the schools if you have children that already attend or know kids who do. Thank you!
jearund

Re: HSFG v Ribston

Post by jearund »

Hi Birdbridge,
My DD started at Ribston this year. She also qualified for HSFG so had the same choice as yours. For us it was quite easy. She didn't like HSFG when we visited (although this was under the old Head who has now left) but she really liked Ribston. We were told the ethos was on the whole child and not just academia. They encourage them in their dreams, whatever they are. We really liked that because DD is creative and who knows what she will want to do with her life? As well as the usual subjects, t inhey study drama and dance as part of the curriculum and there is strong pastoral support. They also do both French and Spanish right from the start and she's already down to go on a Music tour to Slovenia next year! I can't speak for HSFG - although I know someone who has girls there who are happy - but DD is loving Ribston and is really glad she did the 11+ and chose it.
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

We had the same choice too but also chose Ribston over Denmark Road. This was a couple of years ago (dd in yr8 now) and with both schools under old heads. After the Denmark Road head's talk and a look around we both decided that we didn't like it and preferred the more caring feel of Ribston. My dd can be an anxious type when it comes to work so we needed somewhere that would fit her personality, hopefully preventing any possible mental health issues. She loves it at Ribston and has fitted in very well with the school with friends in several years. She too is off to Slovenia on the music tour!

We do know several girls at Denmark and they all seem happy, we just picked the best fit school for dd. Also, with a recent change of heads both schools will change over the next few years so it is always a bit of a gamble as to how it will work out.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My daughter was at Ribston when she did her GCSEs and she absolutely thrived there and achieved some great GCSE results. There were some great trips offered and she did Duke of Edinburgh Bronze award. It was also more convenient with bus routes for us so dd was able to be independent with traveling which was helpful to us as a family.
I cannot speak for HSFG other than it wouldn’t have suited dd as it seemed too stuffy and old fashioned to us but I know there is a new head there now so perhaps different.
Dd was into all the arts in the eary years there but really shifted to enjoy most of the subjects offered and loved the computer science teaching. She is continuing to study at A level elsewhere because at the time Ribston were not offering the a level which I think they may be now.
Can’tthinkofone

Post by Can’tthinkofone »

I have been really pleased with HSFG.

One DD now in year 8 and one just completed her GCSES there this year but has moved on for sixth form.

I find it to be a nuturing school that brings the best out in the child. Neither of mine are particularly good at art but the teachers have managed to help both of them to produce some really good work. I think they have the right balance of working hard but having fun.

Had to use the pastoral support once and it was very efficient and dealt with the issue extremely well.

It is about what suits the child though - my DD2 positively shuddered at the Ribston visit when our guide excitedly told her they get to wear leotards. :lol: but for her friend that was the draw to ribston.

Great to have choices - good luck with your decision.
Birdbridge

Post by Birdbridge »

Thanks so much for the responses! Went to see Ribston again yesterday evening and heard the new head speak for the first time. In talking to the teachers and students they had nothing but praise from her. I think it's a good thing that the school is under new leadership now, it seems like things are moving forward in the right direction. Had a warm welcoming feel from the school. I wish the gym, dinner hall and library were a bit bigger and they had a proper track outside (like Crypt), but other than that cannot think of any negatives.

I heard the intake is going from 120 to 150 now. I wonder how that will change the dynamics of the school, if at all. Although it's just 30 additional girls for 2019, in time that will add up to 150 girls over years 7-11! Does the school have the capacity and facilities to accommodate this many more girls? That's my only concern. Though overall it does open up more spaces for girls - and being as I have 2 more DDs to hopefully attend grammars in the future, that can only be a good thing.

Looking forward to seeing HSFG tonight.
cazien

Post by cazien »

Birdbridge wrote:Thanks so much for the responses! Went to see Ribston again yesterday evening and heard the new head speak for the first time. In talking to the teachers and students they had nothing but praise from her. I think it's a good thing that the school is under new leadership now, it seems like things are moving forward in the right direction. Had a warm welcoming feel from the school. I wish the gym, dinner hall and library were a bit bigger and they had a proper track outside (like Crypt), but other than that cannot think of any negatives.

I heard the intake is going from 120 to 150 now. I wonder how that will change the dynamics of the school, if at all. Although it's just 30 additional girls for 2019, in time that will add up to 150 girls over years 7-11! Does the school have the capacity and facilities to accommodate this many more girls? That's my only concern. Though overall it does open up more spaces for girls - and being as I have 2 more DDs to hopefully attend grammars in the future, that can only be a good thing.

Looking forward to seeing HSFG tonight.
Quick adjustment to the date of Ribston PAN increase, it is for September 2020 not 2019.
They are in the planning/funding stages of providing additional buildings esp. a new science block, as they have acknowledged the need for additional classrooms.
jacaranda

Post by jacaranda »

The letter we received on Friday from Ribston Hall stated 'In March 2019 the Local Authority will allocate 150 places at Ribston.....' and this is certainly what we were told yesterday at the Open Day....that the intake from September 2019 is 150.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

I was there last night too, I'm sure they said last night that they had just decided to increase to 150 for this year.

We were impressed and will also be at HSFG this year, my DD is now a bit more excited about the prospect of grammar schools :)
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

They both look like lovely schools. My Dd1 is at HsFG and enjoying it.

I took DD2 who is in year 5 to ribston open day yesterday and they implied the 150 was from sept 2019 as they said it was for the current year sixes in the room.