HSFG v Ribston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cazien

Re: HSFG v Ribston

Post by cazien »

I have a daughter at Ribston and we received this communication on Thursday 11th October:-

"10th October 2018

Response to the Consultation on Admissions to Ribston Hall High School

Thank you to those who responded to our consultation on admissions, which closed on the 23rd July 2018. At Ribston Hall High School (RHHS), we received 22 responses to the consultation.

Responses to the consultation to increase the PAN and admissions arrangements for September 2020 were required to be sent to the Clerk to the Governors by 4pm on the 9th July 2018 (a four-week consultation period) if consultees wanted to make a response to be included as part of the Selective Schools Expansion Fund bid. To meet the requirements of the School Admissions Code for proposal to go over PAN and change admissions arrangements, the consultation continued until the 23rd July 2018 so that it met with the six-week consultation period".

"During this consultation period, RHHS received a letter written by Clare Medland, Head of Commissioning for Learning on behalf of Gloucestershire County Council. It stated 'I am writing on behalf of Gloucestershire County Council to confirm that we have no objections to Ribston Hall School planning to increase its PAN to 150 places from September 2020 and if required to expand its accommodation to meet the additional demand for places"

Nowhere on the document does it refer to 2019!

What a chaotic year.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

My DD has been so happy at Denmark (she’s now in y11). It’s such a nurturing school with a lovely family feel. The music is outstanding which is partly why we originally chose it. Both great schools though & fantastic to have a choice. Just pick what feels right for your dd, there’s no wrong answer.
Flash

Post by Flash »

DD is year 11 Denmark Road. She really wanted to go to Ribston as she's very into dancing and drama, but we couldn't get her there very easily at the time so we chose Denmark Road which is easy to get to. She's been so happy there and we have no regrets. It is a very nurturing school and has a family feel. DD is keen to stay on for sixth form.
cazien

Post by cazien »

Ribston have confirmed they will be increasing PAN to 150 this year. GCC gave them permission on Friday for this to happen. Good news for all you girls out there!
surfer

Post by surfer »

This makes quite an imbalance in grammar places between boys and girls then, if equal numbers of boys and girls get into Crypt and Pate’s.

Assuming it is roughly equal numbers, there are approx 600 places for girls and 450 for boys. Perhaps it is more balanced than that if Crypt and Pate’s are particularly boy-heavy.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

surfer wrote:This makes quite an imbalance in grammar places between boys and girls then, if equal numbers of boys and girls get into Crypt and Pate’s.

Assuming it is roughly equal numbers, there are approx 600 places for girls and 450 for boys. Perhaps it is more balanced than that if Crypt and Pate’s are particularly boy-heavy.
Pates traditionally take far more boys than girls, 2/3 boys 1/3 girls in some years. Crypt’s first co-ed cohort this academic year is 50 girls, 100 boys approximately
surfer

Post by surfer »

Watermelon8 wrote:
surfer wrote:This makes quite an imbalance in grammar places between boys and girls then, if equal numbers of boys and girls get into Crypt and Pate’s.

Pates traditionally take far more boys than girls, 2/3 boys 1/3 girls in some years. Crypt’s first co-ed cohort this academic year is 50 girls, 100 boys approximately
Ah ok, potentially unbalanced then and possibly will become more so if girls start choosing Crypt once the co-ed thing becomes more established.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

surfer wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote:

Ah ok, potentially unbalanced then and possibly will become more so if girls start choosing Crypt once the co-ed thing becomes more established.
Possibly, Crypt open morning was absolutely packed this morning & a large proportion of girls!
Iona

Post by Iona »

My DD2 loves Ribston, I have felt it is a good all round school and it suits her. I am impressed with the new Headmistress and the new head of sixth form and they seem to be implementing positive changes which can only improve the school further in my eyes.

Having said that, I have friends with DD at HSFG who equally enjoy that school, so I think it very much depends on which school best suits your own child. There is no one size fits all.

I would also add, that many change to other GS at sixth form stage too, and that can be great for the transition ready for University.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now