Results email errors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

streathammum

Re: Results email errors

Post by streathammum »

stroudydad wrote:
Mostly not applicable in Glos until after Caf submitted - the system is fine, just pure incompetence
The system is evidently not fine if it is capable of being messed up like this.
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

Lysander wrote:I’m not sure it was common knowledge that some schools put all qualifying pupil premium children straight into PAN (Pates, SHS, Marling, HSFG) and others including Crypt appear to apply the prioritisation at the allocation stage. Makes a right mess for parents trying to make an informed decision.
Not that it helps, but all the schools have to publish their Admissions Policy online and even have to put draft versions up for public consultation each time they want to change it. I did check Crypt's (2019 admissions) and it is up online and correct, if not the easiest to interpret.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

if not the easiest to interpret.
Part of the requirements of creating an admissions policy is that it should be easy to interpret. Parents should be able to understand how places will be allocated.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

streathammum wrote:
stroudydad wrote:
Mostly not applicable in Glos until after Caf submitted - the system is fine, just pure incompetence
The system is evidently not fine if it is capable of being messed up like this.
Going by recent events and comments, crypt seem capable of mucking most things up
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

Pink0ddy wrote:I was under the impression that pp children were guaranteed a place as long as they qualified.
For some of the grammars that is correct. But each school decides their own admissions policy separately. For instance, Crypt has 'children of established teachers' as a criteria.

However, given that the ranking is worked out on the weighted scores (worked out to the day of birth, not the month), to a two decimal place level, it's moderately unusual for there to be two children with equal scores, therefore the 'criteria' isn't often needed.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

I attended Crypt open morning this morning. From what I gleaned, it was an issue that affected some Tommies & Crypt scores.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I cannot help thinking this is some sort of software glitch which I guess is contracted out to CEM to administer. I must admit I looked at some of the scores coming through on Friday and thought there was something wrong somewhere It’s awful and can understand all the frustration, anger and distress that this will have caused ...but it really does not make Crypt a bad school or the head and admin staff terrible people. My own experience with the staff is that they genuinely care about the young people at the school and will be hugely disappointed that this has happened after last year.

How you pick up the pieces is the challenge.... all I know is that kids will be very upset and need support to pick themselves up from this. They need to know this is an awful mistake and have parents support them to cope with it. I guess for some it will be more of an issue than others. Horrible situation all round... :?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Watermelon8 wrote:I attended Crypt open morning this morning. From what I gleaned, it was an issue that affected some Tommies & Crypt scores.
Watermelon, again it seems that the indformation on Tommies was passed to you by Crypt rather than the other way round. You can see my confusion, hopefully.
surfer

Post by surfer »

I don’t think the glitch affected the STRS ranks, the issue was their first email told some parents their DC had qualified with a rank and then a few minutes later emailed saying they hadn’t qualified.Then sent a third email clarifying that the first one was wrong and they hadn’t qualified. So it was more that the cut off for who received which email was wrong.
Amber

Post by Amber »

DC17C wrote: it really does not make Crypt a bad school or the head and admin staff terrible people.
Of course it doesn't, and I am sure it is a great school - I have never heard anyone whose child attends it with a bad word to say about it (ok, one person, but that is not many!). But surely when you have made a bad mistake, you apologise and clarify exactly what has happened in a public way, rather than asking a parent to put an apology on a website which most people don't read, and failing to let anyone know what exactly went wrong. A lot of the angst was caused by speculation and uncertainty and all that could have been shut down with a timely and sensitive statement from the Head. Which, as I understand it, is still not forthcoming. I had a lot of sympathy initially but the way it has been handled since is a disaster imho.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now