CAT

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bambi 175

CAT

Post by Bambi 175 »

Sorry if this has been asked before but we have just received our child's CAT scores and I am wondering how good an indication of whether she is suitable for grammar schools and if so, which ones? Thanks
cazien

Re: CAT

Post by cazien »

If your child is above average then it could be an indication of suitability for a GS.
As to which ones - any of them! CAT results do not have any significance for a GS allocation, the result of the GS test alone is used to allocate places.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Cat tests might give an indicator of suitability for grammar. I believe anything above 115 might be a reasonable indicator of above average ability in these tests but is not guarantee of passing. If a child has particularly high scores over 128 in each section then they will be more useful as academic evidence if an appeal is persued.
If a child has high scores but are struggling in some way at school, it may be worth exploring specific learning difficulties such as Dyspraxia or dyslexia.
Bambi 175

Post by Bambi 175 »

The teacher said if they are getting 120's and 130's that was an indicator of Pates and then low 120's and teens was the other GS. I'm just wondering how accurate that would be. Thanks
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

Bambi 175 wrote:The teacher said if they are getting 120's and 130's that was an indicator of Pates and then low 120's and teens was the other GS. I'm just wondering how accurate that would be. Thanks
Meh. You'll find children with very high CAT scores in all of the Grammars. I also know one who had a CAT score of 138 who failed his 11+, went to a local comp, then got all A*'s at GCSE.

A high CAT is not a guarantee that they will pass the 11+, and nor does it mean that they have to go to a particular grammar.

It's worth looking at all the schools, as you may find one will fit your child better than the others. They will all be able to cope with very high ability children.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Bambi 175 wrote:The teacher said if they are getting 120's and 130's that was an indicator of Pates and then low 120's and teens was the other GS. I'm just wondering how accurate that would be. Thanks
It’s an indication that’s all, ultimately you know your child & whether they have the aptitude to be at a grammar. But the 11+ test itself is a one day snapshot. We did a couple of mocks before the test along with a few of DC’s friends. The DCs scores varied each time, one would do better one week & another the next so you can never really tell. 1 mark difference here & there can make a big difference ranking wise! & there are always those who get high CATs but then don’t pass or do but not for what they expect. It’s a funny old system.
& I agree totally with NancyB. Grammar isn’t the be all & end all, lots of very bright children do very well at comps. & if you want a GS then look carefully at all the relevant ones. They are all great schools & suit different children. If you’re lucky to have a choice of GS then simply pick the one that suits your child, there isn’t a right or wrong answer it’s totally a personal decision.
Bambi 175

Post by Bambi 175 »

Thanks all for replying. I know there will always be children who don't fit the rule, I just wondered generally whether it was a good indication. I just want to be realistic with my expectations and in turn, manage my child's. Thanks all.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Bambi 175 wrote:Thanks all for replying. I know there will always be children who don't fit the rule, I just wondered generally whether it was a good indication. I just want to be realistic with my expectations and in turn, manage my child's. Thanks all.
If you feel your DC is bright enough for GS then put them in for the test. You have nothing to lose. Good luck :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now