Anyone else here for the 2019 test (Entry 2020)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Choccy74

Re: Anyone else here for the 2019 test (Entry 2020)

Post by Choccy74 »

Brackenboo wrote:Hi choccy74, we're doing 10-11 CGP papers. We are doing a mix of the various 10 minute tests and then the tutor is giving us a CGP test paper to do now and then. Those are the ones she is getting 50-60% on. With the 10 minute ones she's best at NVR and close questions. We're starting to get there with the maths but she needs to work on timings and we are trying to fill the knowledge gaps too. She really doesn't like comprehension and generally gets half or more in the antonyns and synonyms, but it's hard when they are words they don't know.
Hi Brackenboo,

I'm tempted to move my DD up to the 10-11 books now for maths and NVR and see how she gets on, she's got a mock exam in about 8 weeks time and I want her to have some experience of the higher level books before she sits it.

I hate that the vocabulary/synonyms/antonyms are so difficult to teach...it's such a huge area, the only answer I can think of is for her to memorise the OED :lol:
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

My DD was 10 in October, so we did the 10-11 books straight away, not sure how much difference their is. Swallowing a dictionary seems to be the best plan :lol:
jearund

Post by jearund »

monkeyboot wrote:Hi Jearand, what is the name of the centre?
Monkeyboot, I'll PM you. I don't think we are allowed to give that information out on here.
Choccy74

Post by Choccy74 »

Brackenboo wrote:My DD was 10 in October, so we did the 10-11 books straight away, not sure how much difference their is. Swallowing a dictionary seems to be the best plan :lol:
Ah ok, my DD isn't 10 until July so that makes me feel a bit better about not having started the 10-11 books yet :)
reach4thesky

Post by reach4thesky »

My DD turns 10 this June, however I felt the need to move her on to 10-11 books already.. There's so much to do and so little time :( ... particularly the synonyms and antonyms she finds challenging..
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

reach4thesky wrote:My DD turns 10 this June, however I felt the need to move her on to 10-11 books already.. There's so much to do and so little time :( ... particularly the synonyms and antonyms she finds challenging..
Is there much difference? We are finding their is quite a lot of maths she hasn't covered and similarly having challenges with the synonyms and antonyms.
jearund

Post by jearund »

Brackenboo wrote:
reach4thesky wrote:My DD turns 10 this June, however I felt the need to move her on to 10-11 books already.. There's so much to do and so little time :( ... particularly the synonyms and antonyms she finds challenging..
Is there much difference? We are finding their is quite a lot of maths she hasn't covered and similarly having challenges with the synonyms and antonyms.
I can't comment on the books but the 11+ tests them on Year 6 maths which they are unlikely to have covered in school, given that they've only just started Year 6 at the time of the test. And they wonder why so many people get tutors!
Mumofthreeahh

Post by Mumofthreeahh »

New to this forum! DD1 sitting 11+ in Sept 2019. We didn’t start tutoring until February, as we have just moved to Gloucestershire. She is currently at a private prep and I just got her CAT scores back - average of 108 - so I’m worried that 11+ is going to be too hard for her... She goes to group tuition in Cirencester once a week and we don’t get much time to do stuff at home as I work full time. We also tend to fall out when I try and do work with her. Anyone else finding the same?
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

Welcome to the 11+ & to Gloucestershire!

Re CAT scores, I thought a score of 100 was 'average'. So she's on the right side...I think from my memory I remember our 11+ tutor telling us that for Pates you needed a CAT score of c120 and other grammar schools of c110+ but this was a couple of years ago & I don't know whether there are differences in CAT tests. I also suppose it depends on whether your DD was prepared for the CAT test or sat it 'cold'. You're obviously planning on preparing for the test...Hopefully others will be along to share their knowledge.

Re group tuition my DD did the same but I'd say there is group tuition & group tuition! My DD was placed in a small group with 3 other individuals who were similar in strengths & weaknesses & ability levels. Her session was for an 1 hour & 15 minutes per week with some homework to do during the week. Our tutor was very good at going through the homework & giving feedback. Friends children who also went to group sessions - had much bigger groups & less direct feedback...My DD enjoyed the sessions with others - made it more fun - our tutor did games for example & an element of competitive spirit also helps for some.

I work full time and finding time was / is a challenge. It is a bit of a commitment that you need to commit to & a tall ask of a 11 year old - unless you're happy to see where you get to with just the tutor & no extra. Given you've only just started, I think you probably need to let it bed in a little. We worked out that set times when we did the work were better rather than just trying to fit it in & constantly nagging to do the homework. We too did have some fall outs - usually when one or other of us was tired - that is one of the big positives of having a tutor - a different approach & with someone different can help.

Hope that helps.
Choccy74

Post by Choccy74 »

The CAT scores are really a starting point, to give you an idea of where your DD is now; as she's only just started tuition, they should quickly improve.

My DD's average CAT score was 112, but she only scored 103 on NVR, which wasn't surprising as we'd never looked at them before and she'd only started tuition two weeks earlier. Now that she knows what she's doing with NVR, she whizzes through these questions and usually scores upwards of 85%, so if she were to re-take her CATs test then I'm sure her score would be loads better.

We've also had a few 'discussions' around doing 11+ work at home! My DD loves going to tuition (one hour a week) and happily sits and does the homework as soon as we get home, but any other work sometimes takes a bit of negotiation or bribery :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now