How does the admissions system differ in Denmark Road for Y8

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
poppy101

How does the admissions system differ in Denmark Road for Y8

Post by poppy101 »

A quick question. I would love to know how children are attending local comprehensive schools and are then getting into Denmark Road at the beginning of Y8/9 ?? A local family I know have moved their first daughter in at Y8 or Y9 to Denmark road for a term (last year) and have now got their second daughter into Denmark road in Y8 for this September.

How are they able to do this ? and how easy is it to move children into the Denmark road system ?

My child is sitting the exam this weekend. However, if she doesn't get in for September, is it worth moving her later in the year, if there is a way of doing this.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
PerpetualStudent

Re: How does the admissions system differ in Denmark Road fo

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi poppy101,

You might have more luck posting in the Gloucestershire part of the forum. Not from your area so I’m guessing you would find the answer under ‘in year admissions’ on the Denmark Rd website. In year admissions are very much dependent on vacancies opening up at the school in the desired year.

HTH
PS
Edited to add:
https://www.denmarkroad.org/page/?title ... ons&pid=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It just leads to an enquiry form. In other schools I’m aware of the in year applicant still has to pass an ability test as well as be lucky with a spot opening up.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Moved for you
scary mum
cazien

Post by cazien »

An entrance test (which I believe is different to the 11+) is normally sat if you apply to the school. If they have a space (a lot of people either move area, opt for private education etc) so places do become available in all years. School websites also advertise if positions are available, as they prefer full PAN to empty seats! This applies to all schools not just Denmark.
Totallybemused

Post by Totallybemused »

My understanding is that at the start of Y7 the waiting list for each grammar is continued (with all those who have chosen to remain on it) in the order of the original rankings of the 11 plus. Therefore any spaces that arise (eg due to no shows on the first day of term) are offered immediately to whoever is the top of the waiting list. However, at some point (not sure whether eg Christmas of Y7, end of Y7 etc) the waiting list actually becomes a 'waiting pool', so just a list of people who would like a place, not in any ranked order. It may also include people who have moved into the area so never sat the 11 plus. Then when spaces come up a new test is sat by all those who would like to be considered for a place. This is set by the individual school,not a CEM test. Those who do best in that test will be offered the space (up to the number of spaces that have become available). This means that girls who just missed out in the original rankings, or perhaps underperformed in the 11 plus, or in fact have made huge progress during Y7 at another school, may end up getting into a grammar in Y8 or Y9, when they did not originally.
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

My daughter moved to Denmark Road at the beginning of year 10. She had to sit papers in English, Maths and Science. A pass is required in all papers and there needs to be a space. Hope that's helpful.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now