Travel from Cheltenham to Marling & STRS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PersonMcPherson

Re: Travel from Cheltenham to Marling & STRS

Post by PersonMcPherson »

stroudydad wrote:Personally I would taking your location into account, choose Tommies over Marling - given the choice. I can advise on Marling I’d you wish as I have 2 in the school, another about to join. :-)
Thanks stroudydad. Yes, think if we are staying in Cheltenham then Marling is just too far away.
PersonMcPherson

Kaybee wrote:Hi,
My son gets the 94u to STRS and it leaves the Prom around 7.45. Would that be more manageable?

Thanks for reply Kaybee, getting to the promenade would take a while, so we would probably be better getting the 7.30 am.
PersonMcPherson

Amber wrote:I think the issue is twins with different ranks really, is it not? I am no expert on rankings but your second twin might just squeeze into Tommies with that? Others will have a better idea perhaps - Lysander or SteppeFox perhaps. If anyone knows them perhaps give them a nudge on this one?
Hi Amber, yes, twins with gap in rankings is indeed the real issue!! Mrs Bain at STRS was very reassuring and said good chance it would be ok, as even if they don’t go down to 292, there is grounds for appeal as the lower ranking twin was ill and nearly didn’t take test -I got doctor’s letter the day before.
PersonMcPherson

muminTewkes wrote:I’d think the issue is the twins.

Personally I’d want them in the same school so if that were in question and I loved Marling and was able to move -I would.
Moving house and secondary would be a non issue imo.

As for the travel I think it’s no problem to STRS.
Thanks for replying muminTewkes, seriously weighing up the pros and cons of moving!
PersonMcPherson

Glos18 wrote:I did wonder what you were planning to do when you posted your ranks on the other thread. I do feel for twins / parents of twins! It must be so stressful! Twin 2 v risky for STRS but might be doable after reconsideration etc but you would still run the risk of one being in STR and one in marling. If you are happy to risk that happening, then go for it, but if u want more certainty then you could go for Marling or Crypt for both. I wonder if they have a facility to link twin applications? It would certainly be useful for your twins.
Hi Glos18, thanks for reply. I ended up deleting post with their rankings because I suddenly felt that it was very identifying!! Yes, am worried that they will end up at different schools if I risk listing STRS. Their rankings should be fine for both to go to Crypt or Marling. DS1 ranked 215 for Pates (qualified) and if they were going to end up at different schools anyway perhaps I would regret not listing a Pates for him just in case (unlikely I know) that they go down that low. Twin 2 has grounds for appeal as he was ill and we already had doctor’s letter. Also invigilator’s mobile ‘phone went off mid/exam!
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

Gosh what a dilemma. It sounds though that you have a good chance of getting them both into STRS (even if you end up going down the appeal route for twin 2). Pates didn’t go anywhere near the 200’s last year I’m afraid. My son got in the early 190’s and didn’t get a place (he absolutely loves STRS and in hindsight it was the right school for him)
Wishing you lots of luck...
PersonMcPherson

Kaybee wrote:Gosh what a dilemma. It sounds though that you have a good chance of getting them both into STRS (even if you end up going down the appeal route for twin 2). Pates didn’t go anywhere near the 200’s last year I’m afraid. My son got in the early 190’s and didn’t get a place (he absolutely loves STRS and in hindsight it was the right school for him)
Thanks Kaybee! Good to know about last year’s Pates rankings and also great to hear that your son is happy at STRS. That’s very reassuring:)
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

PersonMcPherson wrote:
Kaybee wrote:Gosh what a dilemma. It sounds though that you have a good chance of getting them both into STRS (even if you end up going down the appeal route for twin 2). Pates didn’t go anywhere near the 200’s last year I’m afraid. My son got in the early 190’s and didn’t get a place (he absolutely loves STRS and in hindsight it was the right school for him)
Thanks Kaybee! Good to know about last year’s Pates rankings and also great to hear that your son is happy at STRS. That’s very reassuring:)
I think there is a decent chance you will actually get STRS if you try. Regarding Pate’s, 182 seems to ring a bell but I may be wrong (please anyone correct me if I am)
Amber

Post by Amber »

I would trust Mrs Bain. Period.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Amber wrote:I would trust Mrs Bain. Period.
I'd second this, she was spot on with our son.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now