Comp catchments affected by big birth year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkers

Re: Comp catchments affected by big birth year

Post by Tinkers »

Locally we have people put one of the GSs down when their DCs never sat for the test in the first place. Not many, but certainly a few every year.
jearund

Post by jearund »

ToadMum wrote:
jearund wrote:
Prof Pat Pending wrote:The allocation day statistics for 2019 are available on the Council website now. They are mostly pretty full or over full - even the schools with poor OFSTED ratings in Gloucester are full.

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/medi ... y-2019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here's an interesting puzzle. How can Pates have had 277 preferences? I thought they only qualified the first 200 or so?
Because even if your child was ranked 1200, you can name the school on your CAF. Those whose DC didn't have a 'pass' ranking may have applied because they intended to appeal (you can only appeal if you have applied and been refused a place). Or because they didn't understand what the message re their DC's results meant. Or because they were delusional. Who knows? Every year, in every area, some people use up their entire list of preferences on oversubscribed schools their DC have close to zero chance of being allocated, because they come nowhere near the top even of the 'all other applicants' category (and then usually moan that it's someone else's fault that their precious DC has been allocated a school three buses away that no one else wanted, either :roll: ).
Toadmum, thanks for explaining. Yes, I too have heard parents planning to put down 5 unrealistic schools on the assumption that GCC would have to give them one of them - Noooooo! Last year one parent in Cheltenham did that and was allocated Bourneside (which she hadn't put on the CAF) which really surprised me as I thought Bournside was usually oversubscribed. It is this treat but then as we know, it's a high birth year.
jearund

Post by jearund »

Tinkers wrote:Locally we have people put one of the GSs down when their DCs never sat for the test in the first place. Not many, but certainly a few every year.
I can only assume that they didn't understand how the school allocation system works. It always surprises me how many people don't.
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

277 isn't too crazy. They ranked the top 230. Throw in another 30 or so late sitters, who would have still listed it on caf. Add in a few people that are planning to appeal, and you soon get to 277.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I have no idea, I suspect they don’t realise there’s even a test. Every year I’m faced with reading posts on FB about people applying for places at local schools, and not getting the places they want etc. The misinformation from others I see is very eye opening. People will often believe wrong information other people rather than the official LA websites as well.