Choice on the CAF please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Twintwinmum

Choice on the CAF please

Post by Twintwinmum »

Hi, there
Please give me some advice.

Luckily, both of my twin boys got ranked within 150 in Tommies and Marling,
but met the qualifying standards only(around the lowest ranking offered place last year) in Pates. We are happy with Tommies but still couldn’t give up the slight hope for Pate.

On the CAF, if I put Pate on the 1st choice and Tommies on 2nd, what would happen to us on 1 Mar? Getting places at Tommies and automatically being on the waiting list of Pate?
What if put Tommies on the 1st and Pate on the 2nd? Getting places at Tommies and not being reconsidered for Pate anymore after the allocation day?

Look forward to any little tips.
Thank you in advance.

just in case of being reconsidered after 1 Mar? Or put Tommies on the 1st to make sure of places and put the names on the waiting list of Pate?
hermanmunster

Re: Choice on the CAF please

Post by hermanmunster »

If you put a school first and are eligible to go there, you will not hear from any of the other schools. If you really want somewhere then put it first, it will not affect your chance at your second placed school
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Put the schools in your genuine order of preference. If you prefer Pates then put it first - it won't impact your ability to be offered a lower ranked school if you don't make the rank for Pates on offer day.

If you put Tommies top and are offered it on offer day, any schools you listed below it will be discarded, even if it turns out that you would have had a high enough score to get a place there.

If you put Tommies second and Pates first and you get Tommies on offer day, you will either be put on the waiting list for Pates automatically or can apply to go on the waiting list.

You cannot jump the queue by the way you order the schools on the CAF and you cannot be leapfrogged either. Put the schools in your genuine order of preference and you can't go wrong.
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

My only thought would be that if they are both near the lowest from last year (which I think was 185) and you put Pates 1st and Tommies 2nd then there is a chance that only one of them will get into Pates (assuming they don't have identical scores - if they do and are right on the line then I'm not sure that Pates would do)

Given they are both top 150 for Tommies they would both definitely get a place there if you put it 1st.

So, one factor is whether you (and they) really want to be at the same school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

From having had a squint at the Gloucestershire CC website, unlike in most other places, your DC is not automatically put on the waiting list for schools which were a higher preference than the one allocated - you have to make a specific request for reconsideration?

Other than that, as others have said, put each DS's schools in your / their true order of preference. Not being likely to get pref.1 in no way influences whether a place can be offered at pref.2, but if the unlikely happens, you won't get told whether you might have got a place at pref.2.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx