Missed out on Ribston. Advice please.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Totallybemused

Re: Missed out on Ribston. Advice please.

Post by Totallybemused »

Reconsideration and waiting list are sligthly different things (although right now there is no difference between them). Reconsideration is the process that is happening at the moment, where GCC sifts through all the replies, processing who has accepted their school place and who has declined theirs (eg if going private). Then they effectively look at the lists of all the people who have asked to be reconsidered for a certain school (and also those who have done the late test), which you could think of as being the 'waiting list'. They then allocate the places that have become available to those who are ranked highest on those lists. And that in turn often frees up a places at other schools, which they reallocate etc etc. At the end of March they write (or email?) everyone who asked for reconsideration to tell them whether they have been successful or not. At that stage, the waiting list then comes into operation for anyone who has still not got a place, but would still want one if it became available. I don't know for sure but I suspect they ask you to confirm if you wish to be on the waiting list or not, but it might be automatic? The waiting list too is in order of ranking.

With regard to your other question, yes, you have understood rankings correctly. But... you could still theoretically be more or less than 24 places away. You could be more than 24 places away if there are some girls who have done the late test and ranked higher than your daughter (and put Ribston as one of their preferences), as they will be above you on the list. But you could equally be fewer than 24 places away because not everyone above you will have chosen to go for reconsideration (or even named Ribston on their CAF in the first place). Some may be quite happy having been offered their local comp so not bothered with reconsideration. Equally, after the reconsideration process, not everyone will choose to stay on the waiting list, as some people don't want the uncertainty.
You will have a much better idea where you stand after the reconsideration stage (and hopefully even a place! :) Good luck!
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

I can't thank you enough for all that information. Thank you so so much xx
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

Well unfortunately she is now 25 places away due to the second test. I didn't even know the second test was a thing until recently. Gutted for her. She still has her heart set on Ribston and we cant get her to be enthusiastic about anywhere else.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Does anybody know roughly how much movement there is per the waiting lists between March & September on average? 1 or 2? 10 or 20? Can't find anything that gives any guidance on this!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You probably can't find info because it wouldn't help you anyway. Past performance is no indication of what will happen now as cohorts change and the waiting list is basically relying on other people making decisions that favour you.

The best you can do is focus on the positives of the school you have been allocated and then anything else is bonus!
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Ball park figures would be great though, and are basically what this website thrives on.
Corierra

Post by Corierra »

Last year I think Ribston offered at least 33 places down the rankings between Mar 1st and mid July. I don't know what happened after that point and last year was possibly affected by the Crypt issues
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now