11 Plus Exams Forum

Special Provision
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Pinkoddy [ Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:01 am ]
Post subject:  Special Provision

Does anyone have any experience in Gloucestershire for applying for special provision for the test please? I have no idea where to start. We have an EHCP - is that enough? I home educate so don’t have a head teacher to ask.

Thank you

Author:  cazien [ Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Special Provision

I don't have any experience myself but a friend of my DD had special provision at HSFG when she sat the test. Evidence (I don't know what) was submitted to the school and she was able to sit the test in a different room and had longer time.
Try contacting the school where your child will be sitting the test and ask for advice.

On Crypts admission policy it states:-
"When registering for selective testing, parents are asked to specify any special educational needs or disabilities which might require reasonable adjustments to the testing process, in accordance with the procedure available from the Local Authority’s website. The School will then consult with appropriate professionals to determine the most appropriate adjustments to make (if any) to ensure that testing arrangements are accessible"

Author:  Totallybemused [ Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Special Provision

I started to investigate this for one of my children a few years ago (who also has an EHCP), but in the end we decided the 11 plus was going to be too stressful for her, and that the local comp would be much better set up to meet her needs. She is now in Y8 and thriving academically with the support they have put in place.

As has been said above, do contact the schools. And if you are wanting to sit the test this coming September I would do that pretty urgently. The request needs to be put before the SEND panel and authorised which takes a bit of time, so don't wait until the main registration period opens in June. and if I remember rightly. But circumstances such as extra time, scribe etc do happen so it is quite possible, as long as the need is there.

Following from our experience though, and of course depending on what your child's needs are, it is worth considering where will suit them best. Look round all the schools that you may potentially have available to you, and ask the SENCO to show you round! See what he / she says about what provision they could put in place for your child once at the school.

Author:  Pinkoddy [ Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Special Provision

Thank you very much both

Author:  kenyancowgirl [ Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Special Provision

Cannot agree with Totallybemused more....go and visit all your prospective local schools - in my experience working in schools, the SENCOs are often far far better equipped and experienced to give a child a better educational experience than a grammar school for the sake of a grammar school.

Author:  Glos18 [ Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Special Provision

The information you need for you application is found here http://www.patesgs.org/admissions/admissions-7-11/
click on the information booklet link).

I don't have any direct experience - although our son has SpLD we didn't apply for special provision. However, I have read entries on the SEN board where this is discussed. Sounds like some requests are granted but not always eg child is given blue filter rather than exam paper printed on blue paper.

I think you difficulty will lie in the fact that you are H.E. so you won't be able to provide the school info they will require. I think it would be worth posting on the SEN board for advice re this.

Author:  Pinkoddy [ Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Special Provision

Thank you very much.
He’s my fourth child so I’m also aware of our educational options locally

Author:  DC17C [ Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Special Provision

I guess it depends on the specific needs of your child but I have to say Crypt have been fantastic in meeting my son’s needs but these were specifically dyspraxia issues and some severe ill health issues in yrs 10 and 11...It is always worth while getting in touch the the SEN coordinator at the individual schools to what support they can supply

If you need to go down the appeal route or get some independent verification of academic ability then Id guess you might have to have an Ed Psych evaluation if you don’t have school reports CAT tests etc

Author:  Pinkoddy [ Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Special Provision

I don’t think we will appeal if it comes to it but thank you I will get in touch with the sencos.

That is good to hear about Crypt thank you

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group