Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Percentages?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:45 pm 

Is there a general guide on what percentage you need to be passing the mock exams/test papers to get into schools? I know we’re not given their percentage when it comes to the actual exam but I’m interested to have an idea of how my DS is performing?

Post subject: Re: Percentages?
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:00 pm 

Someone asked this recently if you go to page 2 "What percentage is needed to pass" thread.
I think generally lower than you would think. 50% is probably enough to get a place at one of the schools, a bit higher for the more competitive ones.
It seems remarkably low to me! I think it's easier to get a GS place than people think.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:39 pm 

It doesn't really matter what % your DS is getting now - it's the test that matters. Mocks are good for introducing DCs as to what will happen on the day and to identify weaknesses, they are not a true reflection on who will/won't achieve a rank.
It will also depend on how many sit the 11+. This varies (and is increasing yearly) but there are normally around 2300 applicants with 1000ish? places. They qualify near to the total number of PANs.
Keep working until the 11+ trying to identify weaknesses, (formulae, comprehension, vocabulary or timing issues, etc.).
Good Luck.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:56 am 

The simple answer is no, you can't say.
Having said that, there is some guidance from previous years, what people were scoring and which schools they got into.

I would say that last year it was definitely higher than previous years. that maybe because there were more kids, or because the test was harder, or because the cohort were all better prepared.

So I think 50% is pretty low/ I would want 60% min for most and for pates 80+

I am not talking about mocks (who can tell how hard the questions are) but the tests at the back of the CPG books.