Difficulty level of actual test - Gloucestershire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
flower_123

Difficulty level of actual test - Gloucestershire

Post by flower_123 »

Hi
My DS is sitting in three weeks time for his 11 plus test. I am doing some of the CEM style paper's with him. I have read quite a few tread here and it suggest that 80+ for pate's and 60+ for rest of the school. But there are some for e.g CGP paper's has higher difficulty level then other's, so scoring 70% and above is considered good as per the CGP booklet. The other books are bit easier which allows him to score more.

Just wondering if any experienced parents are aware of the difficulty level of actual test?
Many thanks in advance!
Glos18

Re: Difficulty level of actual test - Gloucestershire

Post by Glos18 »

My son used mainly cgp for practice and did the Glos 11+ last year. From our discussions afterwards, it seemed like verbal reasoning was easier, maths was as expected and non-verbal was harder than expected. Thankfully that suited DS. I imagine it changes every year though.
authormum

Post by authormum »

Both my kids said the test was much easier than the CEM practice papers, but both of them said that the timings felt much tighter.
Just one data point, but if I had a third (I don't!) the one thing I'd practice with them is tight timings.
flower_123

Post by flower_123 »

Thank you Glos18 and authormum. Appreciate your feedback. This will be helpful.
Eviewin

Post by Eviewin »

Would completely agree with Glos18’s summary from last year, that’s exactly what DS said too. And again thankfully it suited him.
reach4thesky

Post by reach4thesky »

I am experiencing the same flower_123. Some of the CGP practice papers, particularly Pack 3 and 4 seem to be really hard for my DD. She is no where close to the 80% mark. I am curious to know the comparison of Pack 3/4 to the actual exam if any from those who took the exam last year.
Eviewin

Post by Eviewin »

reach4thesky wrote:I am experiencing the same flower_123. Some of the CGP practice papers, particularly Pack 3 and 4 seem to be really hard for my DD. She is no where close to the 80% mark. I am curious to know the comparison of Pack 3/4 to the actual exam if any from those who took the exam last year.
From recollection, pack 3 is evil, the hardest of them all.
Last edited by Eviewin on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

We're nowhere near 80 either on the practice papers, I'm really hoping 60+ will cut it. We're currently focusing on speed with maths and accuracy with comprehension...
flower_123

Post by flower_123 »

Thank you Eviewin, Brackenboo and reach4thesky.
I agree that CGP 3&4 is the hardest we found. He is still struggling to finish in time specifically comprehension and Maths.
we are focusing more on the time now!!
Grammar_18

Post by Grammar_18 »

Hi, Has anyone tried Leap 11plus papers? Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now