DS freaking out

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: DS freaking out

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm not sure what area you are from, Jamiep6, but I think in Gloucester some of the schools require a certain mark in each of the areas as well, so a strong English mark would not necessarily make up for a weak Maths or NVR. Also CEM are notorious for changing the weighting with no notice (and do...)
Skip

Re: DS freaking out

Post by Skip »

My DS had had enough three months before the test. Frankly so had we. He had a tutor once a week and did a daily 10 min test. I told him that as he’d put the work in he would be sitting the test. I felt being firm and taking the decision away from him allowed him to move to ‘acceptance’. It took responsibility away from him to make decisions. That was our responsibility. However I also made clear that all it did was give more choices of school and if he passed he may still go to the local comp if we felt that was the best school for him.

Not having a choice about sitting the test coupled with doing a 10 min test every other day (instead of daily) calmed him. Im not saying you should do the same as us. Every child and parent / child relationship is different. Whatever happens, whatever you do, one day this will not matter. So make a decision based on what YOU think is best, tell him what it is and be at peace knowing you’ve done your best. What more can you do? Good luck. xx

PS Plan something fun or a treat for after the test if you decide to go ahead and focus on that. It’s a reward for being brave and doing the test. Passing or not passing doesn’t matter.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now