Anyone here yet for 2021 entry?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Eviewin

Re: Anyone here yet for 2021 entry?!

Post by Eviewin »

Just spotted that we’d slipped down onto the second page of the section, so doing a quick bump. How’s everyone doing, made much of a start yet? We haven’t done much over half term, trying to understand what maths topics have been covered at school so far, and what DS is comfortable with. We’ve got parents evening coming up soon, so I can have a good look at his books to see what he’s been working on and how he’s been doing. Less concerned about English and nonverbal, though he does not get 3D shapes at all so far!
Fliblet

Post by Fliblet »

We've made a start, doing a little bit each day. Maths and NVR are definitely strengths - DS lives and breathes maths and patterns! English and vocab is the bit that needs work, so we're doing lots of synonym/antonym work, using vocab flash cards, and an online course which I found which includes all sorts of English exercises. DS reads a LOT, but I think he skims or guesses words he's not sure of, so I'm trying to encourage him to ask or look them up. It's tough when he's engrossed in a book though!
Eviewin

Post by Eviewin »

Fliblet, DS1 was like that, and I had the same dilemma about how to look up words. I bought him a kindle paperwhite (not just for 11+, he wanted an e-reader for his birthday), as I already had one, and if you set up a family account, it has the option to press on a word on the screen and a short definition pops up. And it tracks all the words that have been pressed so you can see the full list. Much less interruption to the flow of reading.

We’ve had DS2s parents evening now and I’ve seen what’s been covered in y5 so far, so can be a bit less haphazard in what to look at. Doing some stuff on fractions, decimals and percentages to make sure he understands all of that fully.
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

We're also doing something most days. Currently my biggest concern is time, closely followed by not reading the question properly. If the latter happens then accuracy is pretty good, I just can't get my head around how to get her to work at speed. We're starting quite gently, trying to revise/consolidate year 4 work as if she's not got that right we're going to be in a pickle. She's also got some confidence issues- focuses on the 2 wrong answers rather than the 8 correct ones, so trying to build that self-esteem. (Have always tried to do that, please don't think I've been putting her down up to now! :lol: )
Also really struggling to get her to find out what words mean. Her reading is really good and she loves it, but will skip over words that she doesn't know, with the intention of going back later, but never does.
Hope everyone is doing well. Thinking of giving her a good break over Christmas so that she doesn't burn out, maybe just learn a word a day that she doesn't know, but no written work/teaching. What's everyone else doing?
magic16

Post by magic16 »

Hello,

I have decided to share our experiences guys (Gloucestershire 11 plus forum) as you has been truly amazing and supportive. I had few answers and you have always been very supportive . Also, I received many private messages with lots of advices and I have felt everyone was happy to share information. Pls do not change!

We live in Surrey but my husband has always been looking into moving back as he is from there and all is family still live in Glos ( he attended The Crypt school and his mum and sister - Denmark Road school)

Our DD sat the 11 plus exams fo Tiffins' Girls School , Sutton Grammar schools (Nonsuch and Wallington High School for Girls) and Gloucestershire Grammar schools . The first two are GL exams (2 tests) and Glos is CEM (only 1 test) She managed to pass all of them and we are finally moving to Glos next year !! We looked into all schools and we all agreed that Glos schools were the best for various reasons.

From our DD's experience , she thinks Surrey school's test are tougher and maybe more academic but she got a bit more time (less on the 2nd stage test though!) but the main difference with Glos 11 plus was you really have to be fast ... so her advice is to do mocks and really work againts the clock sort of thing from the start!. She attended a group tutoring lesson once a week and the books they used - (I don't think you are familiar with them in Glos) were superb in our opinion. I don't think I am allowed to share them publically but I think I can do it by private message, you can buy them on Amazon, WHSmith, etc.

I wish alll the best to everyone and I hope you all find 11 plus journey not too hard. Glad we are done with it now - so can concentrate on big move now. Yay!

Thanks for all your support again - so kind! X
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I’m not doing it this year.. or ever again :D :D
Sorry couldn’t resist..
jearund

Post by jearund »

stroudydad wrote:I’m not doing it this year.. or ever again :D :D
Sorry couldn’t resist..
Well, you have been through it 4 times! We're done too - twice was enough for us and with a 100% success rate we're happy!

Good luck to those of you starting the journey - I'm sure stroudydad and many others (myself included) will stay on hand to pass on the benefit of our own experience. It's amazing how this forum turns you into an expert on a subject you knew nothing about when you first found it!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

jearund wrote:
stroudydad wrote:I’m not doing it this year.. or ever again :D :D
Sorry couldn’t resist..
Well, you have been through it 4 times! We're done too - twice was enough for us and with a 100% success rate we're happy!

Good luck to those of you starting the journey - I'm sure stroudydad and many others (myself included) will stay on hand to pass on the benefit of our own experience. It's amazing how this forum turns you into an expert on a subject you knew nothing about when you first found it!
Just migrate to the gcse & a level section... and of course there’s Rehab and EE. (But no pokitics... those threads get removed )
jearund

Post by jearund »

We're not quite ready for the GCSE and A Level section (oldest in Year 8) but rehab and EE (I take it that's everything else rather then the mobile phone company!) sounds good - I'll see you over there!
Eviewin

Post by Eviewin »

Hi all - how are the 2021 group doing?

With the primary school closed, DS hasn’t been given specific school work to do, but instead directed to a range of ed websites. At least with an older child I have an idea of what’s coming up, but I’m working from home (and busier than normal), so struggling to give ds attention. Thankfully the older one is largely self managing. At least I have a fair amount of 11+ materials having planned to DIY from the start, it would be trickier to have relied on tutoring and then have that stopped. How about anyone else?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now