Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:58 pm 

My DD took the test last year and her rankings were within about 5 spaces for the 3 girls schools. We opted for Crypt. Quite a few people opted for Ribston and SHS over Denmark Rd last year. Although Tommies seems to be a clear favourite with parents of boys, DR seems to not have the same appeal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:56 am 

Brackenboo wrote:
My DD took the test last year and her rankings were within about 5 spaces for the 3 girls schools. We opted for Crypt. Quite a few people opted for Ribston and SHS over Denmark Rd last year. Although Tommies seems to be a clear favourite with parents of boys, DR seems to not have the same appeal.

That's the complete opposite of my experience though it's not an option for my son. 2/3 of the Y6 cohort sat the test and I'd say that DR was either first or second choice for most if not all of the girls. I'm not a statistician so don't have any numbers just anecdotal evidence. For my daughter's year it was definitely the favourite option for girls after Pates. It's interesting to see how different social groups have different experiences of 'preferences'.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:11 am 

dodie102 wrote:
Brackenboo wrote:

That's the complete opposite of my experience though it's not an option for my son. 2/3 of the Y6 cohort sat the test and I'd say that DR was either first or second choice for most if not all of the girls. I'm not a statistician so don't have any numbers just anecdotal evidence. For my daughter's year it was definitely the favourite option for girls after Pates. It's interesting to see how different social groups have different experiences of 'preferences'.

Hi Dodie, can I ask where (roughly) you are? For example I would imagine a lot of Elmbridge, longlevens etc children do put DR first simply as it's so easy and walkable to the school? We are less than 30 mins for all the grammar schools and none in walking which takes that convenience factor away. I think it was closer to a 1/3 in DC's class sat for the test, that we know about.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:33 am 

We're in Cleeve and amongst the girls who have taken the test there is a real mixture of preferences. Most have opted just to share with Pates, but those who have opted to include the grammars further away have chosen STS, DR and Ribston (although not much mention of The Crypt).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:41 am 

Thats interesting. We're also in Cleeve and just 3 girls in DD's class have done the exam. 1 is DR only, one all but Stroud, and we did Ribston and Crypt (also Stroud because we hadn't realised they are the top school, but no chance of getting in there). No boys in the class did the exam. Most of the parents are really happy with Cleeve School results and didn't see the need for grammar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:58 am 

I’m not sure if it’s purely due to this year, but I’m aware of 5 boys at my sons school who have all opted for Crypt as first choice, while I would of assumed Tommies would have been the preference.
Girls from my sons class are very much still choosing Denmark road.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:09 am 

I'm in Cheltenham.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:21 am 

We live on the doorstep of Denmark Road - DD did not like it and preferred Ribston. Denmark didn't feel right for her and now we are (virtually!) looking for a sixth form, she is still not interested in Denmark Road.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:21 pm 

I would imagine location would definitely have an impact. We're just outside Gloucester in Coopers Edge. From our primary about 12 took the test, 1 went to DR, two Crypt (one boy, one girl), 1 Pates and two Marling. The previous year 2 Crypt (one boy, one girl), 1 Ribston and 1 Tommies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:31 pm 

And a week to results. I'm trying not to think about it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next