Anyone here yet for 2021 entry?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Glos18

Re: Anyone here yet for 2021 entry?!

Post by Glos18 »

Interesting thoughts yellow hammer although I don't think all of your assumptions are correct. I think there is a lot of movement across county boundaries for non-selective schools eg KLB.
Looking at the FOI provided by Tommies, 11% of the 2019 intake came from private schools and 10% of the whole school population have non-GL postcodes. These are obviously not mutually exclusive groups, but you can be assured that approx 80% + of the kids there are from Gloucestershire state schools.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Just over 24 hours.

Seems so dragged out - really glad my DC doesn't know!
dodie102

Post by dodie102 »

Really wish it was the same for my DC! One of the mums in the class has made a habit of telling her child just how long is left until they find out. I was hoping my child would just walk home tomorrow blissfully unaware of all the hoopla until I saw them. :|
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

dodie102 wrote:Really wish it was the same for my DC! One of the mums in the class has made a habit of telling her child just how long is left until they find out. I was hoping my child would just walk home tomorrow blissfully unaware of all the hoopla until I saw them. :|
Oh no, why would you do that to your child? There is no need to worry them and make them anxious. I have enough issues sleeping worrying about it, let alone remind my child! At least you can be cool and collected around them!
Yellowhammer

Post by Yellowhammer »

Glos18 wrote:...but you can be assured that approx 80% + of the kids there are from Gloucestershire state schools.
Actually, I'm not against children from out-of-area or from private schools moving into the Gloucestershire grammars! Due to changing locations at various stages, I've actually used a mixture of state and private-sector schools in both junior and senior age ranges for my own children, and have no regrets about any of my varied choices.

The more interesting fact - and it is a fact - is that both ex-private and out-of-area groups are over-represented in the grammars taken as a whole (and even Tommies, considering that under 7% of primary school children are educated in the private sector), and the number of children from the state primaries being given the opportunity by taking the 11 plus is low, considering the population size.

So the open question for me is what is it about the majority of Gloucestershire parents that makes them decide to rule out the grammars completely by shunning the exam? Do they know something we don't?
starcrazy

Post by starcrazy »

dodie102 wrote:Really wish it was the same for my DC! One of the mums in the class has made a habit of telling her child just how long is left until they find out. I was hoping my child would just walk home tomorrow blissfully unaware of all the hoopla until I saw them. :|
Oh wow that is quite something, it’s difficult enough to manage their expectations as it is! I hope the school pickup tomorrow is ok.

Only 3 sat the test from my child’s school but I know they’ve chatted about it as her classmate was convinced the results would arrive on the 17th Nov. I did tell my daughter that results day is tomorrow because she doesn’t like uncertainty - but also that emails don’t all arrive at the same time so we may well not know until Wednesday, she’s pretty chilled. (I’ve also told her categorically not to ask the others about their results as they may not want to share, and that if she wants to share hers she shouldn’t unless they ask - just trying to avoid any potential upset for anyone.)
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Similar, I've asked them not to ask anyone nor tell anyone unless they ask them directly. Then go with something like 'I don't know exactly, mum and dad said they are proud and we will get schools confirmed in March' which would work if it's not good news as they only have the one night to process it.
dodie102

Post by dodie102 »

That's a really sensible route to take. A few years ago when it was eldest's turn for results the next morning was a bit of a circus from what I hear. My husband drops off in the morning and rarely engages in chat (he's not miserable just in a rush), but I had at least 3 texts asking from parents I'm not even that close to. Honestly! To make matters even worse someone texted their daughter the results on the day! Luckily my child was oblivious. :lol:
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

dodie102 wrote: To make matters even worse someone texted their daughter the results on the day! Luckily my child was oblivious. :lol:
That made me swear out loud. WHY would you do that?
dodie102

Post by dodie102 »

Polgara_Glos wrote:
dodie102 wrote: To make matters even worse someone texted their daughter the results on the day! Luckily my child was oblivious. :lol:
That made me swear out loud. WHY would you do that?
My exact reaction at the time. What a twonk.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now