Girls at Crypt

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Brackenboo

Girls at Crypt

Post by Brackenboo »

Hi,

We are debating between Ribston and Crypt as our primary choice and just wondered if anyone has a DD at Crypt and how they are finding it. I know the last two years have been just under a third girls.

My DD enjoys art, textiles and cooking as well as other subjects and I'm wondering if these will be as well catered for at Crypt? But I'm also debating whether co-ed is better than just girls, although DD's close friends are girls she also gets on well with boys in her class.

We are going to go to both of the open days but just wondered if anyone had any views? Both would be on the same bus so logistically no real difference,

Phoenix-Mum

Re: Girls at Crypt

Post by Phoenix-Mum »

Following - we have the same dilemma.

DD loves Sport and Crypt looked good for this, are expanding a lot for Girls too, but she also likes Dance, gymnastics etc which Ribston offer as both curriculum and as Clubs.

Its disappointing the girls intake has been under 1/3
I would be more for Crypt if the split was more even.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Spoke to another parent whose DD has just started at Crypt and she is really enjoying it, so that has given me more confidence.
Tom77

Post by Tom77 »

we have seen Crypt, it is really amazing, best facilities compared to all other grammer schools. Girls will love it. Whoever wants to go to coed and missed Pates Crypt is fantastic place.
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

My daughter is in Y8 of Crypt and is loving it. She has grown in confidence and has become a great individual since being there. There may be less girls but they can definitely hold their own and are by no means over shadowed. The way I look at it, the school do all the same stuff for the girls as the boys, but there are less of them so they get more opportunities, for instance if you are sporty, you have a much better chance of getting on a team in a pool of 50 than at an all girls school! They have had several girls science trips to GE, and the girls have great new facilities. It is such a friendly school with loads of clubs, my daughter has friends from all years, I just can’t imagine her in a girls school now.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Thanks for the reply RayRay, it's definitely the one we are leaning towards at the moment. Glad your DD is enjoying it.
Tom77

Post by Tom77 »

Brackenboo wrote:Thanks for the reply RayRay, it's definitely the one we are leaning towards at the moment. Glad your DD is enjoying it.
great to hear that my DD also looking forward for Crypt
jvb16

Post by jvb16 »

RayRay wrote:My daughter is in Y8 of Crypt and is loving it. She has grown in confidence and has become a great individual since being there. There may be less girls but they can definitely hold their own and are by no means over shadowed. The way I look at it, the school do all the same stuff for the girls as the boys, but there are less of them so they get more opportunities, for instance if you are sporty, you have a much better chance of getting on a team in a pool of 50 than at an all girls school! They have had several girls science trips to GE, and the girls have great new facilities. It is such a friendly school with loads of clubs, my daughter has friends from all years, I just can’t imagine her in a girls school now.

That’s great to hear. My daughter has qualified for the three girls’ schools, plus Crypt. Neither she nor I are keen on the idea of single sex education but I worried about her being outnumbered at Crypt. It’s great to hear they’re catering so well for girls :)
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

We went to Crypt yesterday and unless something at Ribston wows us, it's definitely going to be our first choice.
jearund

Post by jearund »

Brackenboo wrote:We went to Crypt yesterday and unless something at Ribston wows us, it's definitely going to be our first choice.
We've just been to Tommies and are off to Crypt this afternoon. DS still convinced he wants Crypt. What was it that won you over?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now