Is Pates really better?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Notagenius

Is Pates really better?

Post by Notagenius »

If you go through the GCSE and A level results last few years, most grammar schools match Pates. Why then it is rated much above all other grammars? Is it all just the hype?
Any thoughts?
magic16

Re: Is Pates really better?

Post by magic16 »

Very interesting question.. I think their A levels results are great but I haven't really compare them with the other schools.

Yes, please.. I would really like to know more about this and also how come they are left to choose the top 150 kids in the county? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Many thanks
Mumto3Girls

Post by Mumto3Girls »

Great question...

Statistically, their results are "better" with exceptional numbers of top grades at GCSE (at least 20% more grade 8+ last summer than other grammars and something bonkers like 41% grades at grade 9) It's the grades that count for the students not how much progress they have made, this is a performance measure used to judge schools) To put this in context, roughly the same % of grades at Pate's last summer were a grade 9 as the average % of students achivieving a "strong pass" (grade 5+) in English and Maths nationally. That truly is extraordinary.

However, it's a bit chicken and egg.... If they didn't take the top 150, would they still achieve these grades? Would these children do well anywhere? Probably...

For us, it was the fact it is co-ed which made it our no. 1 choice as well as all the extra curricular activities and house system.

A bright child will do well at ANY decent school, but Pate's pick the top 150 which guarantee their results are always high and the cycle continues
jearund

Post by jearund »

[quote="Mumto3Girls"]

For us, it was the fact it is co-ed which made it our no. 1 choice as well as all the extra curricular activities and house system.

/quote]

Which makes me wonder what Crypt needs to do to become the de-facto second choice grammar for those who missed out on Pates?

For us, the fact it's now co-ed is swinging it for us. Had DS being doing the 11+ pre-2017, it would have been a straight (second) choice between 3 boys schools and it would have been more difficult (we'd probably have picked Tommies based on distance). I'm sure other parents must feel the same so what will it take for Crypt to start increasing in popularity?

Great topic by the way!
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

I find it crazy that people are prepared to move across the country for schools they haven't even looked around or expect their children to commute distances they wouldn't do themselves.

I liked the co-ed element of Crypt and also the feel of Ribston. The fact Denmark Rd has better results wouldn't away me if I didn't feel it was right for my child.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I don't think Pates is any better than the other grammar schools. Sixth form cream off the bright ones from other schools so their A level results are the best. They invited down to 62 points this year to sixth form interview.

I think it's bonkers how far some of these kids travel to get there when the teaching may be as good at a closer school.
KKK

Post by KKK »

To me the big thing a lot of parents don’t consider is how will your child deal with potentially being in a class full of really bright children. Yes Pates maybe taking the top 5% children but is your child ready to prosper in that type of environment. How does your child handle potentially not being the brightest in the class.

I think a lot of parents think ok my child is in Pates that’s it I’ve done my job now this so called top school will take over.

So is Pates really better in my opinion it’s the wrong question. The question should be does Pates fit my child’s traits that they will get the maximum out of him or her whilst making them happy.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I think that is a common theme at all GS. Most children are used to being stars at their local Primary. A good many are going to discover they are average or below average at Secondary. It can be a shocking readjustment!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now