Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:12 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Factors to consider.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:20 am
Posts: 483
As a parent of 2 sons who attended Crypt for 7 years and a daughter currently at Ribston, I thought I would list a few factors to consider whilst deciding which school to choose or if you are consideration entering future 11+ exams:-

Financial elements
- cost of journeys to and from school, don't forget to factor in future increments
- they last for at least 5 years
- school uniforms and the extras that come with it (summer PE kits, winter PE kits, dance leotards, PE socks, PE tights, boots, gum shields, trainers etc) some schools allow you to buy generically (cheap option) other items you have to buy from the school or school uniform shops (can be expensive). Prices should be online for both.
- Crypt have a laptop scheme, where you pay monthly to buy a laptop from the school

Child and Parental time and travel commitments
- after school activities include, sports matches, after school clubs, parents evening, curriculum info evening, Speech Day, Christmas Fayres, Dance/Gymnastics performances, school plays, music evenings etc. (school plays at Crypt are on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings and can finish late - 22.30ish)
- PTA's are always in need of support/helpers at events - ie selling refreshments at after school events, Crypt have car boot sales on Sundays, please don't leave it to others - your DC will benefit from monies raised.
- Crypt have a number of 1/2 days - how will your child get home as school buses will not run?
- Crypt have compulsory attendance at Gloucester Cathedral one evening in June (18.15-20.00hrs) for Founders Day

This is just the tip of the iceberg :lol: there are many other organised events which vary in frequency and cost from school to school - DofE Award, residentials, non-uniform/cake sale days, photographs, Olympiad challenges, ski trips, netball trips, school trips, enrichment week, field trips etc.

If any parent from other schools have "hidden" extras at their school, please feel free to add to the list.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Factors to consider.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:21 am
Posts: 277
If you don't mind me asking does anyone know how much the iPad scheme is?
Also they all seem to do y7 residentials, guessing these aren't cheap too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Factors to consider.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:52 pm
Posts: 254
Brackenboo wrote:
If you don't mind me asking does anyone know how much the iPad scheme is?
Also they all seem to do y7 residentials, guessing these aren't cheap too.


Ribston's Year 7 residential last year to Croft Farm was £130. I assume the others are broadly similar?

Re the iPads - are they paying to own or rent them?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Factors to consider.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:14 pm
Posts: 17
Brackenboo, I think we pay £17.50 per month for the ipad, (by direct debit) which includes all the software they need, case, and very comprehensive insurance. They will own it at the end of two years. App Store is not on there so they can not just download anything they want onto it, but they are linked into the school network so get a lot of information, message, homework through it, they do use them a lot.
Crypt, and I’m sure most the other schools probably do too, ask for a voluntary contribution to the school of £50 each year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Factors to consider.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:20 am
Posts: 483
RayRay wrote:
Brackenboo, I think we pay £17.50 per month for the ipad, (by direct debit) which includes all the software they need, case, and very comprehensive insurance. They will own it at the end of two years. App Store is not on there so they can not just download anything they want onto it, but they are linked into the school network so get a lot of information, message, homework through it, they do use them a lot.
Crypt, and I’m sure most the other schools probably do too, ask for a voluntary contribution to the school of £50 each year.


As much as we were unsure about having to buy the laptops they turned out to be a god send! With three children doing homework and only 1 computer it certainly stopped the arguments :D Not to mention being sooooo grateful for the comprehensive insurance as well :roll: Cola and keyboards do not mix :!:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Factors to consider.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:21 am
Posts: 277
cazien wrote:
RayRay wrote:
Brackenboo, I think we pay £17.50 per month for the ipad, (by direct debit) which includes all the software they need, case, and very comprehensive insurance. They will own it at the end of two years. App Store is not on there so they can not just download anything they want onto it, but they are linked into the school network so get a lot of information, message, homework through it, they do use them a lot.
Crypt, and I’m sure most the other schools probably do too, ask for a voluntary contribution to the school of £50 each year.


As much as we were unsure about having to buy the laptops they turned out to be a god send! With three children doing homework and only 1 computer it certainly stopped the arguments :D Not to mention being sooooo grateful for the comprehensive insurance as well :roll: Cola and keyboards do not mix :!:


Thanks RayRay and cazien, I wonder if they get a choice of ipad or laptop? I spilt water on my work laptop but luckily managed to save that, I can imagine Cola is not so easy to fix :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Factors to consider.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:20 am
Posts: 483
For my DS's it was a laptop and no choice, everyone had the same device and applications - easy to maintain for the IT department. But that was 8 years ago so things may have changed :lol: .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Factors to consider.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:52 pm
Posts: 254
Someone will have the definitive answer but when we visited yesterday they only talked about iPads and there was an RS class going on where they were on every desk - they use them for research. So I suspect the laptops have been superseded by the iPads. Although I did see laptops in the library.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Factors to consider.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:53 pm
Posts: 85
jearund wrote:
Someone will have the definitive answer but when we visited yesterday they only talked about iPads and there was an RS class going on where they were on every desk - they use them for research. So I suspect the laptops have been superseded by the iPads. Although I did see laptops in the library.


I got the impression they were now centred on the iPads - and (talking to the Head) it appears you have to have (and pay for under the monthly payment scheme) the school provided one.

I did ask if we could just use the one DD already has, to which the answer was "Probably not" as they want them locked down with only the apps the schools wants them to use.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021