Thoughts about Denmark Road and Stroud High School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

reach4thesky

Thoughts about Denmark Road and Stroud High School

Post by reach4thesky »

Hello,

My daughter has qualifying ranks for Denmark road and Stroud High school. We
are in the process of considering which of these two schools might be a better fit for her. She tends to be quiet and is not always outspoken. I would prefer a school that will help to bring out the best in her and help to flourish. She's very sporty and is interested in science particularly. I am keen to know about the STEM /Science initiatives, school subject strengths and importance given to sports in general.

We have previously been to the open evenings at both these schools and loved the environment at Stroud High. But I do understand that one evening's experience cannot be the deciding factor. Distance wise both schools are the same nearly. Can you parents who have kids in these schools please throw some light and help.
Phoenix-Mum

Re: Thoughts about Denmark Road and Stroud High School

Post by Phoenix-Mum »

reach4thesky wrote:Hello,

My daughter has qualifying ranks for Denmark road and Stroud High school. We
are in the process of considering which of these two schools might be a better fit for her. She tends to be quiet and is not always outspoken. I would prefer a school that will help to bring out the best in her and help to flourish. She's very sporty and is interested in science particularly. I am keen to know about the STEM /Science initiatives, school subject strengths and importance given to sports in general.

We have previously been to the open evenings at both these schools and loved the environment at Stroud High. But I do understand that one evening's experience cannot be the deciding factor. Distance wise both schools are the same nearly. Can you parents who have kids in these schools please throw some light and help.
Although they are the same distance, is the journey the same? School bus/Public Transport/Stops/Changes etc

We haven't looked at Stroud as it's too far for us.
Griff1

Post by Griff1 »

We have the same dilemma, though DD is more drama/music than PE, she is very strong in STEM. Transport is slightly easier for us to DRHS but neither is bad.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

My DD is now in yr 8 at SHS & really loving it. SHS were great in terms of making the transition - visit from SHS to primary school, activities, induction day, buddy & buddy chat. Year 7 has flown!

In terms of STEM - there's a lunchtime science club for yr 7 & school take a coach to the Cheltenham science festival & to the Gloucestershire Schools science lectures. (places limited though) I've seen a reasonable amount of connections to local STEM industry & think it continues higher up school (but we're not there yet & others may know more). I know there is a trip to CERN in Switzerland for example for sixth form. My DD is loving Maths & Science.

In terms of sports, there are plenty & a diverse range. Inter school fixtures seem to be for the v sporty but other opportunities for those like my DD who enjoy - like house competitions for example. I've been surprised at the range - archery, swimming, handball, hockey, netball, gymnastics, dance etc to name a few. You can take a look at the term's sports activities on the website (as well as the diverse range of lunchtime clubs)

Lots of music / drama on to - girls encouraged to have lessons if they want as well as choirs, music ensembles and productions.

Very happy with our choice so far. Shout if you have further questions & I'll try to answer.

Hope that helps.
Gramds

Post by Gramds »

Thanks reach4thesky for the question and Octsmum for the feedback.
We have also to make this decision. Planning to visit the school in next 2 weeks. Just wondering what the class strength is at SHS and DRGS. Thanks
reach4thesky

Post by reach4thesky »

Thanks Octsmum for the feedback. Really helpful. Looking forward to visit the school next week. Hopefully we will soon be able to make a decision.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Any thoughts on Denmark Road? I seem to a lot of, why wouldn't you choose Tommies type comments, but nothing similar for Denmark Rd?
Totallybemused

Post by Totallybemused »

My dd is in Y7 at DRHS and is absolutely loving it. We live in Balcarras catchment, but chose Denmark Rd (and the associated bus travel) because we felt it was a better 'match' for her personality. So far, that seems to be true. She has plenty of friends and there seem to be lots of girls that are 'similar to her' (if you can ever say that about a child!) They expect a lot of the girls, in terms of independence and organisation, but I know that is true of some of the other grammars as well. She is very settled and enjoying what the school has to offer. I can't compare to SHS because I have never visited it, and we didn't share results with them. But I suspect it is an equally lovely school! Good luck with your decisions.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Totallybemused wrote:My dd is in Y7 at DRHS and is absolutely loving it. We live in Balcarras catchment, but chose Denmark Rd (and the associated bus travel) because we felt it was a better 'match' for her personality. So far, that seems to be true. She has plenty of friends and there seem to be lots of girls that are 'similar to her' (if you can ever say that about a child!) They expect a lot of the girls, in terms of independence and organisation, but I know that is true of some of the other grammars as well. She is very settled and enjoying what the school has to offer. I can't compare to SHS because I have never visited it, and we didn't share results with them. But I suspect it is an equally lovely school! Good luck with your decisions.
Thanks have booked a tour for the 22nd, will do Ribston and Denmark on the same day :)
cazien

Post by cazien »

Brackenboo wrote:Any thoughts on Denmark Road? I seem to a lot of, why wouldn't you choose Tommies type comments, but nothing similar for Denmark Rd?
I don't know why, but Denmark doesn't seem to attract girls sharing their results with them. I don't know if anyone has posted this years sharers but last year Denmark had 674 sharing whilst Ribston had 990.
Personally DD did not like Denmark when we visited a few years back - even though we are within walking distance :roll: We found it quite shabby and run down and the smell in the drama studio..... :oops: :mrgreen: The head left a lot to be desired for her welcoming approach! It has undergone refurbishment and a new head has been appointed since then though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now