Understanding Prior attainers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JayC

Understanding Prior attainers

Post by JayC »

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me. I'm looking at stats on all / low / middle / high prior attainers, but I can't find anything that explains what this is and how I can use this information to compare schools, in particular grammar schools versus independent schools.

I can see for example in 2018 all / low / middle / high prior attainers were as follows: -
Ribston: 9.9 / No Entries / 9.4 / 9.9
Cheltenham College: 1.2 / Not Published / Not Published / Not Published

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated - thanks.
ToadMum

Re: Understanding Prior attainers

Post by ToadMum »

JayC wrote:Hi, I was hoping someone could help me. I'm looking at stats on all / low / middle / high prior attainers, but I can't find anything that explains what this is and how I can use this information to compare schools, in particular grammar schools versus independent schools.

I can see for example in 2018 all / low / middle / high prior attainers were as follows: -
Ribston: 9.9 / No Entries / 9.4 / 9.9
Cheltenham College: 1.2 / Not Published / Not Published / Not Published

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated - thanks.
It would depend on the cohort, but for those taking GCSEs who would have had the old 'levels' for SATs, Middle = 4, Low = below 4 and High = 5+

Presumably, for GCSE cohorts who took the 'new SATs', it's Middle = 100 - 110 / EXS, High = 111 - 120 / GDS, Low = <100 / Not Met?

Generally, for a grammar school, you would expect mainly High prior attainment. CLC probably has too few state school joiners at age 11 to make the figures meaningful.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Prior attainment related to Sats results so many Indie schools will be excluded.

https://www.compare-school-performance. ... ionstate=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prior attainment is the attainment level of a pupil at the end of the previous key stage - key stage 2 opens a popup . These figures indicate how well a school supports all of its pupils to meet their potential. Middle prior attainers were pupils who achieved level 4. High prior attainers were pupils who did better than level 4, while low prior attainers were below level 4. Pupils without key stage 2 results have been excluded.

You can view the pupils' results in the context of their prior attainment (low, middle or high).
Ribston has no low attainers only 8 middle attainers and the rest were high attainers in terms of Sats results. The 9.9 figures relate to the number of GCSEs taken so expect some take more than others which is why you don’t end up with round figures.

Xposted with TM
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I assume that CLC's '1.2' indicates that they take mainly IGCSEs?

:oops: Just realised also assuming 'Ladies' as well :lol: - probably because the comparison was with a girls' school...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx