Hands up if you’re not taking a place at Ribston!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
thisisall2much

Hands up if you’re not taking a place at Ribston!

Post by thisisall2much »

Looking for about 300 hands please!
chumba

Re: Hands up if you’re not taking a place at Ribston!

Post by chumba »

One not taking a place here!

Good luck :)
jearund

Post by jearund »

Hi thisisalltoomuch!
You sounded like you were going to go for Cleeve - what changed your mind? Did you enjoy Ribston's Open Day?
Can't help you on the not taking a place as I have a DS this time round (DD is already at Ribston) but if you're looking for around 300, does that mean your DD is approx 450? If so, she should be fine, they went well below that both last year and the year before (when PAN was still 120). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you anyway.
thisisall2much

Post by thisisall2much »

It’s not been an easy decision. The management of Cleeve school are really dedicated and the school is doing really well. She’s quite familiar with Cleeve and knows a few of the kids further up the school. However, we went along to the open morning at Ribston and back again in the evening and she now really wants to go to Ribston. I’m happy with it too. I never had any doubts about it being all-girls or even the journey as I travelled to an all-girls school too. I just felt that she wasn’t convinced herself. I wanted her to genuinely want Ribston rather than just go to please me. Of course now that the decision has been made I’m terrified that she won’t get in. So many people seem to be opting for Ribston over Denmark Road!
jearund

Post by jearund »

thisisall2much wrote:It’s not been an easy decision. The management of Cleeve school are really dedicated and the school is doing really well. She’s quite familiar with Cleeve and knows a few of the kids further up the school. However, we went along to the open morning at Ribston and back again in the evening and she now really wants to go to Ribston. I’m happy with it too. I never had any doubts about it being all-girls or even the journey as I travelled to an all-girls school too. I just felt that she wasn’t convinced herself. I wanted her to genuinely want Ribston rather than just go to please me. Of course now that the decision has been made I’m terrified that she won’t get in. So many people seem to be opting for Ribston over Denmark Road!
But you have to remember that the people posting on this forum are only a small proportion of those whose children have qualifying scores for the schools. There have always been parents who have chosen Ribston over Denmark Road (including us 2 years ago!) but Ribston has still always gone much lower in the rankings than DR. Crypt also seems to be popular with girls this year (purely based on my impressions from this forum and personal knowledge of 2 other girls who are going) so they may take girls who otherwise would have opted for Ribston. Assuming your daughter's ranking is as I estimated, I would try not to worry as she should be fine. And remember that you have a great back-up choice as if for some reason she doesn't get Ribston, you both really like Cleeve too. :-)
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Assuming the necessary 230 odd people don't choose Crypt and we set it, DD won't be at Ribston. Her friend has opted for Denmark Rd
magic16

Post by magic16 »

Another one not taking a place here. Good luck!
BusyandConfused!

Post by BusyandConfused! »

And another one here. My DD isn't taking Ribston place (inside 150).
Good luck!
Karmachochi

Post by Karmachochi »

Yup, another one here. Though DD really liked Ribston, as did we.
BlueDoor

Post by BlueDoor »

My DD isn't taking a Ribston place, she's going to SHS like her big sister.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now