11+ Test in 2 different counties?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JayC

11+ Test in 2 different counties?

Post by JayC »

Hi, I was wondering if someone can help as I had someone who I know ask the following question...

Is it possible to sit the 11+ CEM exam both in Gloucestershire & Warwickshire? Or if they are both on the same day then is it possible to share results with grammars in both areas?

Thanks for the help.
ToadMum

Re: 11+ Test in 2 different counties?

Post by ToadMum »

JayC wrote:Hi, I was wondering if someone can help as I had someone who I know ask the following question...

Is it possible to sit the 11+ CEM exam both in Gloucestershire & Warwickshire? Or if they are both on the same day then is it possible to share results with grammars in both areas?

Thanks for the help.
The two areas don't use the same test (unless it changes this year); Birmingham and Warwickshire are one group and Gloucestetshire shares a test with Chelmsford County High, Redbridge, Reading and Slough, so theoretically, it would seem that one would be able to take the test in both Gloucestershire and Warwickshire. Where do you live, that schools in Warks and Gloucestershire are both convenient (bearing in mind the priority areas for the Warwickshire schools)? Or are you in the process of moving? I would contact WCC and or GCC or one of the grammar schools to check about any issues re sitting both.

As to whether they might be on the same day, you would have to check both LAs' websites. Or at least Warks / the KE Foundation and one of the other group.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Reading/Kendrick/Slough are on the 12th September, so unless they have split from the rest that’s the date for that group.
JayC

Post by JayC »

Thanks for the reply and confirming. The person in question has told me that they are close enough to go to 2 of the Warwickshire grammars (alcestster and another, not sure of the name), and 2 of the Gloucestershire grammars (Tommies & Crypt).

They had asked the admissions person at Alcestster and to my surprise they told the parents they didn't know if this was possible or not and they had to ask the LA.

The point I had made to them was that this was important to understand as depending on the answer they either have the option for the child to try for 2 or 4 schools. If only 2 then it would be a decision of which area is preferential to sit at.
Only1nickyt

Post by Only1nickyt »

JayC wrote:Thanks for the reply and confirming. The person in question has told me that they are close enough to go to 2 of the Warwickshire grammars (alcestster and another, not sure of the name), and 2 of the Gloucestershire grammars (Tommies & Crypt).
Assuming they live mid way between Tewkesbury and Evesham they would just be at the boundaries of the Warwickshire catchment (circa 18 miles from the Stratford Grammars) and the same (ish) from Crypt. So whilst technically possible to sit and apply in both Counties, i would imagine that either of the journeys would be challenging!
cazien

Post by cazien »

Gloucestershire 11+ is scheduled for the 12 September 2020.
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

My first suggestion is that the person involved needs to talk to both local council admissions offices.

That said I'm wary this is confusing two issues:

Sitting the 11+ so that schools in both areas have results to work with, and
Actually applying for the school.

In the first instance I think you need to go via one of the schools in each area and register to take the test with them (and say which other schools in that area you want to share results with).

If they sit different tests then I believe it should be OK to take both- but you really need to check with the respective authorities in case there is some issue with overlap, which could result in whichever test is done second being ruled invalid as you've been deemed to have taken the test "twice" and hence have an unfair advantage.

If that all works you then have to submit the CAF to the local authority where you live and put the school from the other area on the form at the whatever preference you want.
Nella

Post by Nella »

Think the Warks/ B’ham test is on the 12th September too!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

In previous years Warks info used to say something along the lines of you can only sit the CEM test once but not sure if this is still the case - the issue being that even if there was somewhere equidistance between Glos and Warks, I am not sure you would actually fall close enough to the priority area for Warks to get a place - no idea on Glos. but the only people who could let you know would be both LAs - and I would make sure you get their answer in an email.

If there is a clash of dates, I suspect this is deliberate and may be from CEM itself.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

If they are both on the 12th, then there’s the added issue of whether either side would allow you to specify whether you can have a morning or afternoon slot. (I know, for insistence, that Kendrick will not entertain any such requests). Or you could end up with the same slot for both tests. That would make it impossible.

In addition, even if you could ask for a morning slot for one and afternoon slot for the other, can you physically get between the two in time? (And how will your DC cope with two exams plus travel between?)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now