School Allocation Results March 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
happygolucky08

Re: Admissions letter today

Post by happygolucky08 »

Milly wrote:
happygolucky08 wrote:I'm guessing that means my DD won't have got a place then as she is ranked almost at 400.
Dreading this email now as I'm pretty sure that she won't have a place :(

I'll follow the same advice and call Monday to see what rank they offered to.

So it's wise to accept the place that is offered but then go on waiting list for 1st choice school (if it's close enough to her rank)
Sounds as if we’re in a similar position, good luck ! Some great advice from Jearund on page one of this thread re accepting a place at another school but going on the waiting list for the one you really want.
Thanks Milly, it's all such a stress isn't it? I guess I'm one of the ones who gets late post too.
Milly

Post by Milly »

happygolucky08 wrote:
Milly wrote:
happygolucky08 wrote:I'm guessing that means my DD won't have got a place then as she is ranked almost at 400.

So it's wise to accept the place that is offered but then go on waiting list for 1st choice school (if it's close enough to her rank)
Sounds as if we’re in a similar position, good luck ! Some great advice from Jearund on page one of this thread re accepting a place at another school but going on the waiting list for the one you really want.
Thanks Milly, it's all such a stress isn't it? I guess I'm one of the ones who gets late post too.
Really stressful ! Hoping it all works out for you :)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would go so far as to say that any parent would be FOOLISH NOT TO ACCEPT the offer of a place. The LA are legally bound to make you an offer of a school place - hopefully this will be one of the schools that you listed on your CAF (ideally the one you listed in first place!) but, if you are not eligible for any of the schools listed on your CAF (because either you do not meet the criteria at all OR someone meets the criteria BETTER/Ahead of you), they will make you an offer at any school that has a space. If you do not accept the offer of the place made by your LA - even if it is a school you do not really want - the LA are NOT required to make any other offer to you, which would leave you with NO school place at all.

W/r to the waiting list - different councils run wait lists in different ways - some automatically add you to the list of any school you listed higher than your allocated school (assuming you meet criteria) others require you to request to be added. If you are entitled to be on a waiting list, EVEN if you think your rank looks a bit far away, you have nothing to lose by going on the list - accept the school you have been offered and, you may be lucky - other people ranked above you on teh wait list may decide they are happy with their allocation etc. Do remember though that positions on wait lists can go up and down as other late applicants are added in their rightful position (depending on the criteria held)
cazien

Post by cazien »

You must accept the LEA offer of a school place and ask for reconsideration for a different school. If you don't accept the place offered, you have to find your child a place at a school, the LEA are under no obligation to help you.
happygolucky08

Post by happygolucky08 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:

I would go so far as to say that any parent would be FOOLISH NOT TO ACCEPT the offer of a place. The LA are legally bound to make you an offer of a school place - hopefully this will be one of the schools that you listed on your CAF (ideally the one you listed in first place!) but, if you are not eligible for any of the schools listed on your CAF (because either you do not meet the criteria at all OR someone meets the criteria BETTER/Ahead of you), they will make you an offer at any school that has a space. If you do not accept the offer of the place made by your LA - even if it is a school you do not really want - the LA are NOT required to make any other offer to you, which would leave you with NO school place at all.

W/r to the waiting list - different councils run wait lists in different ways - some automatically add you to the list of any school you listed higher than your allocated school (assuming you meet criteria) others require you to request to be added. If you are entitled to be on a waiting list, EVEN if you think your rank looks a bit far away, you have nothing to lose by going on the list - accept the school you have been offered and, you may be lucky - other people ranked above you on teh wait list may decide they are happy with their allocation etc. Do remember though that positions on wait lists can go up and down as other late applicants are added in their rightful position (depending on the criteria held)
I will definitely accept any offer of a place and then hope for a place on the waitlist. Thanks so much for your advice
jearund

Post by jearund »

Brackenboo wrote:I just had a look at the SHS admissions and there are 30 spaces for PP who qualify before the ranked scores.
Brackenboo, that's only going to apply if there are 30 PP pupils who met the qualifying standard, which is unlikely (based on anecdotal evidence and the stats from FOI requests on STR's website re PP applicants, and assuming this also applies to other GS more generally). So if there are only say 5 qualified PP candidates, the other 25 places would go to non-PP candidates according to rank order.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Completely agree, but I think someone asked higher up. We'll all find out soon enough....
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

Iirc the PP students who achieve the qualifying score for a school are allocated a rank in the top 150.

Eg pupil A - pates rank 853 not qualified, DR real rank 424 (inside what they’ve decided is a qualifying score) so rank in top 150, SHS real rank 437 (outside top 150) so told not qualified.
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

My DD was 492 for Ribston and has offered a place
Choccy74

Post by Choccy74 »

Congratulations Legofan, my DD has also got into Ribston (rank 527)...I'm SO relieved!! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now