Appeal, Waiting lists and late applications

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cheltdad

Appeal, Waiting lists and late applications

Post by cheltdad »

Hopefully this will be of help to various people (and if I't got any of the following wrong I'm sure someone will shout):

So wary that the clock is ticking - you need to submit your response to any place offered by the 9th March. General thought is it's best to accept the place you have been offered (otherwise you could end up with nothing), and then try to appeal/ask to go on a waiting list.

The usual assumption is that you are trying get on the waiting list of a school you originally put higher etc - however there are some other options:

Ask to go on a waiting list of a school that you didn't originally list - even if that is a Grammar school that you didn't originally share results with (you have to meet whatever they set as their "qualifying standard" to get on the list, and it's probably best to get advice from the specific school if you want to try this).

Ask to go on a waiting list of one (or more) of the Grammar schools if you missed the original test for some reason (illness, moved from out of area etc), and arrange to take the "late test" (Submit the waiting list form by the 9th, and then register for the test - between 13th and 16th March, and then take the test on the 19th March).

With all of the above I'd recommend talking to Gloucester Admissions to make sure you get the right form filled in etc.

Hope that is of some help.
jearund

Re: Appeal, Waiting lists and late applications

Post by jearund »

Just one thing to add - the next stage (before appeals and formal waiting lists) is Reconsideration. If you didn't get the school you wanted, you need to accept the one you did get but in the drop down box next to the one you wanted, you need to click the box that says something like Reconsideration (I haven't actually done this so I'm not sure of the wording). That will put you on the list to get a place if others with places drop out (it's still based on rankings). After that stage, if you still don't get a place, you formally go on a waiting list, but I'm not quite sure what the process for that is.

You need to tick the box for Reconsideration before 9 March.
happygolucky08

Post by happygolucky08 »

jearund wrote:Just one thing to add - the next stage (before appeals and formal waiting lists) is Reconsideration. If you didn't get the school you wanted, you need to accept the one you did get but in the drop down box next to the one you wanted, you need to click the box that says something like Reconsideration (I haven't actually done this so I'm not sure of the wording). That will put you on the list to get a place if others with places drop out (it's still based on rankings). After that stage, if you still don't get a place, you formally go on a waiting list, but I'm not quite sure what the process for that is.

There is no such option on the drop down list - only:

Response here is optional
Go on Waiting List
No response to make
Other Decision

Nothing about reconsideration at all :?

I've just put Go on Waiting List for SHS and accepted the offer of the school below so we at least have a place at a school for the moment.

Confused now
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

happygolucky08 wrote:
jearund wrote:Just one thing to add - the next stage (before appeals and formal waiting lists) is Reconsideration. If you didn't get the school you wanted, you need to accept the one you did get but in the drop down box next to the one you wanted, you need to click the box that says something like Reconsideration (I haven't actually done this so I'm not sure of the wording). That will put you on the list to get a place if others with places drop out (it's still based on rankings). After that stage, if you still don't get a place, you formally go on a waiting list, but I'm not quite sure what the process for that is.

There is no such option on the drop down list - only:

Response here is optional
Go on Waiting List
No response to make
Other Decision

Nothing about reconsideration at all :?

I've just put Go on Waiting List for SHS and accepted the offer of the school below so we at least have a place at a school for the moment.

Confused now
Top comment is: If you really need advice on this please talk to the Gloucester Admissions team and/or the school that you want to try and get into, as everything I can post on here is only "advice" based on my understanding of the system.

So.......

I think the term "Reconsideration" is more a description of part of the overall process.

At this stage I think the best you can do to try and swap schools is to accept the one you have been offered and ask to go on the waiting list of the one you want.

The first "round" of that waiting list process is to try and allocated any places that have not been taken up at all (e.g. applicant has decided to go to private school or has moved out of area), and to try and do an analysis based on the requests that have been submitted to see who can essentially be "swapped" around.

The results of that get announced around the 30th March and you have until 8th April to accept any new place offered. [That offer and acceptance process is what seems to get referred to in places as the "Reconsideration" stage].

If you still haven't got the place you asked for at that point you remain on the waiting list for that school in case any places still become available - and I think the lists remain active until December to cope with (bizarrely) children that never actually turn up at the school they've been allocated (e.g. they've moved and forgot to tell the council), and other odd cases. Which means you can actually be offered a place after you have started somewhere else.

It's at the point that this "Reconsideration" loop has finished (i.e. April) that I think you can then submit an appeal (but there are only specific grounds that you can use) - the Appeal Process seems to run from May to July.

If you appeal and fail I think you can still stay on the waiting list to see if anything comes up - you are supposed to know where you are on the list.

The other part of this is the "late" application process - which seems to apply if you didn't take the test at all originally anbd want to take the "late test", or if you want to try sharing results with a school you didn't list orginally (This is something you really need to talk to Gloucester Admissions and the specific school about as I think it needs a paper form submitted and not something via the portal).

More detail on this is all here (or linked from it, and it notes that the Appeal process for each school should be on that school website):

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/educ ... ry-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps!
Beazers

Post by Beazers »

My Dd is 14th on the waiting list for Ribston school. What are her chances of getting a place over the coming months? She was 5th on the list originally after the first allocation, but now she's been pushed back 9 places after Reallocation. Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now