Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:56 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:34 am
Posts: 51
Just seen on a different thread here that the DfE have today issued a pretty clear recommendation that 11 plus tests be delayed until late October or November, which would mean results are known after the application form needs to be in. Doc link here : https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... FINAL1.pdf

I can certainly see the argument. The Gloucestershire heads have not shown signs of deferring yet, but this guidance may change things. What could cause problems is the variation of application preferences for other admissions authorities. Swindon borough only allow 3 preferences, same as South Gloucestershire - compared to 6 in Gloucestershire. So unless those authorities increase the number of preferences (which is suggested in the guidance), then it could be really difficult for those applicants to make choices without knowing the results. Will need to wait and see!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 9888
hopefully they will increase the numbers of slots on the form, that will make it easier for people not knowing the results, they can put down the GS they want and then some non-selective as they would have done if they had already had the results and selective wasn't going to be an option.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 17, 2020 9:21 am
Posts: 45
Whilst I too understand it’s special circumstances this year, I cant see how an extra month or two will make a difference to disadvantaged children. Either way they would have lost months of schooling compared to others.
On a selfish note, I feel gutted as I thought the test was only a few weeks ago and I think we both just want it done now!
It’s going to make the choices a tough choice on what to put down.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 9:18 am
Posts: 104
My DC has been out of school since March and school have been not great...however I'm not sure if I want a delay or not. I can't see the different 1 week to 3 weeks will make if the child has been out so long.

Before the Glos Heads said they were compensating by putting out extra material (well it's the previous years familiarization material!)

They will also need to run the paper for those who are sick/quarantined 14 days after won't they?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 7622
Location: East Kent
hermanmunster wrote:
hopefully they will increase the numbers of slots on the form, that will make it easier for people not knowing the results, they can put down the GS they want and then some non-selective as they would have done if they had already had the results and selective wasn't going to be an option.


This is what they have done in Kent


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:04 am
Posts: 86
I'm also not sure if this is good or bad. On the one hand, more time to prepare seems good, but on the other we're looking forward to the end of the preparation. We're currently planning on starting up again in about mid August (all need a nice long break from everything!) But if we know it's going to be delayed then we'll take the whole summer holidays (we've not been doing all that much anyway, just a few 10 minute tests to get her used to the style/speed.) I'd assumed that we wouldn't be hearing anything from the grammars now until September, but I'd really like to hear the plans for this. I think changing the date would be quite stressful for everyone if we're only going to get a couple of weeks notice.
NB, I thought it was 5 options on the CAF... it would be great if this were to go up, but it's probably software dependent, so I don't think we can bank on it. I'm slightly concerned though, because I really don't know which non-selective is a "safe bet". We're really close to DRHS, so Barnwood, Chosen Hill and Churchdown are probably the closest, but from watching previous yr 6 I wouldn't say that any are safe bets for us; kids living close by have been turned down by each of them (4 kids all getting second choices, but all different 1st and 2nd choices, so none seem to be guaranteed for us!) I'd really rather not have to use 3 of 5 when we don't know what the GS situation is! Ah well, such is life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:34 am
Posts: 51
2Socks wrote:
NB, I thought it was 5 options on the CAF... it would be great if this were to go up, but it's probably software dependent, so I don't think we can bank on it.


Just double checked, yes it is 5 for Gloucestershire sorry - 6 was stuck in my head for some reason, wishful thinking maybe! Still a lot better than 3.

Overall, I’d be happier to just get on with the test I think. We’ve positioned the whole thing with DS as about seeing if you can have more schools to choose from, as a means of downplaying the significance, which relies on knowing the results before applying!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:04 am
Posts: 86
Sorry, on my phone and struggling to insert a quote, but yes, we're also going with the increasing options line as well. We're not doing much NVR for that very reason... the maths and English will both support education whatever happens and wherever she goes.
That said, she really wants DRHS, and she understands the test is a gateway to that option so she's got an incentive.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 9:18 am
Posts: 104
It’s delayed

https://www.cryptschool.org/userfiles/c ... 0Test_.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:34 am
Posts: 51
Thanks for posting. The letter doesn’t sound like they’re expecting Glos council to give more than the 5 options.

I’ve just emailed the SW regional school commissioner asking her to push for other local neighbouring authorities to increase beyond the 3 they currently have, as suggested in the DfE guidance. Don’t know if she’s the right person but I daresay her team will forward on as appropriate. I think she’s the person who had to authorise the date change at least. Doubt it will make a difference but I wanted to try.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2020