Order of schools on CAF form

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Polgara_Glos

Re: Order of schools on CAF form

Post by Polgara_Glos »

It is good and bad to look at Chosen Hill’s YouTube page. The year 7 parents evening is also done by the head so not great but there are some year 6 transition stuff done by teachers which I think give a better feel for the school. Like https://youtu.be/yDl7PnX2EgM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Polgara_Glos wrote:It is good and bad to look at Chosen Hill’s YouTube page. The year 7 parents evening is also done by the head so not great but there are some year 6 transition stuff done by teachers which I think give a better feel for the school. Like https://youtu.be/yDl7PnX2EgM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not currently living in Gloucestershire, although I have family there, but it was interesting to have a look at the link as a friend of mine is from Churchdown and attended the school, I think. Possibly in its first comprehensive intake (we are that old :lol:).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

You should really watch their virtual open day on you tube then. It’s quite something...
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

LOL That video started a little spurt of work from DD! I don't think the Head is a natural on camera, although having tried to talk to camera it's really quite hard if you're not used to it.

I'm hearing good things from yr7 and 8 at Henley, and year 7 at Holmleigh. I wasn't expecting that to be perfectly honest. I don't know anyone at Chosen. For Churchdown I'm getting 2 different opinions from what I consider sensible parents both of yr 7 boys.

I don't see how that may help anyone, but I hope it does!
Future2020

Post by Future2020 »

It’s all so confusing! Parents at current primary all seem to speak highly of Chosen, and HB, I haven’t heard a bad word with parents with children at the school. I think a lot still judge HB on the reputation of when it was Brockworth.
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Barnwood, I was impressed with the virtual?
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Future2020 wrote: What’s everyone’s thoughts on Barnwood, I was impressed with the virtual?
I went to the open evening last year and loved it, so did DD and DS (a bit young yet!) If we lived a bit closer it would definitely be our first choice for comprehensive, may still be, even though it's a long shot for us at best.
Future2020

Post by Future2020 »

That’s good to hear, it’s our first choice of comp. I have a son, so not sure what the mix of boy/girl is, whether it’s close to 50/50 split? I’ve gone with it anyway!
Still not convinced we would get it anyway, I rang the school last week and they admitted around 0.8mile last year and I am 0.9. Feels worth a go though! Although still banking on Grammar.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Future2020 wrote:That’s good to hear, it’s our first choice of comp. I have a son, so not sure what the mix of boy/girl is, whether it’s close to 50/50 split? I’ve gone with it anyway!
Still not convinced we would get it anyway, I rang the school last week and they admitted around 0.8mile last year and I am 0.9. Feels worth a go though! Although still banking on Grammar.
The local authority told me it was 1.1 miles on allocation day last year and 0.9 the previous year. And they say so themselves in their presentation. https://www.barnwood-park.gloucs.sch.uk ... g-2020.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; So someone isn’t telling the truth?!?

We really liked the virtual presentation.
Future2020

Post by Future2020 »

Thanks so much! That makes me more relieved that it’s a likely option we could get, rather than a wasted choice!
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

I think we have our comps in order.

Now we have 4 grammars and three places on the CAF to sort out....