Order of schools on CAF form

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mumto3Girls

Re: Order of schools on CAF form

Post by Mumto3Girls »

Like you, wouldn't have bothered with the comp choices.

Glad we went with our order as it was based on genuine preference for both girls. It was always Pates or Ribston.

DD2 who would prefer Pates is ranked 189 so might be in with a shot given the strangeness of this year and if not both she and DD3 will go to Ribston which we ranked 2nd on the CAF as both in PAN.

DD3 prefers Ribston anyway (or so she says now but always thought she did!) and was 237 for Pates (so no chance) so with a bit of luck they'll both get what they really want (although DD2 VERY happy if she gets Ribston not Pates too!)
Future2020

Post by Future2020 »

I think we would of stayed the same, We didn’t get a high enough ranking with Pates as our first choice but will be fine for our 2nd choice STR.

We’ve some of DCs friends though that failed the test and I know they would love the opportunity to change especially as some used up 3 choices of grammar leaving only 2 comp choices. If your not on comps doorstep it is really concerning for them, it’s going to be a long few months for them to find out.
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

I don't think it would have changed much for us. We'd have still done the research for the comprehensives because we couldn't realistically do that after the results would have been out. As such, I would probably have included them anyway, even though DD is very safe with her first choice.
I think it impacts much more on those who didn't get as good a rank as they'd hoped. If that had been in that position we would have included at least one other comprehensive that we liked but are unlikely to get.
starcrazy

Post by starcrazy »

In hindsight we would have left Crypt off; it was added just in case she didn’t qualify for a girls school but realistically, if a child doesn’t qualify for Ribston they won’t for Crypt.
Comp choice would be the same.

Not to scaremonger, because by default I think if parents are reading here they have a good grasp of how the process works, but I think March might see higher than usual shifting around of places via waiting lists. Whilst obviously anecdotes =/= evidence, from what I’ve been hearing, lots of parents don’t understand the preference system.

These are just two of the conversations I’ve had this week:
Child A - CAF submitted as grammar 1, grammar 2, local comp. Didn’t qualify for grammar 1, did qualify for grammar 2, now wants local comp with friends.
Child B - CAF submitted as grammar 1, grammar 2, grammar 3, comp. Qualified (comfortably) for all grammars but wants grammar 2.
Both parents really confused about why they wouldn’t be assigned what their children want now results are out, rather than what was entered on their CAF.

Obviously the council has no way of judging preference other than the CAF. I think not allowing people to edit choices for even 48 hours after results is going to result in a whole lot more work for them, unfortunately.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

I'm not sure if parents can move their choices around like that. It reads like you can only go on a waiting list for a school that was higher on your CAF that you didn't get. I know of a primary appeal that failed as the person had got a school they had placed higher in the CAF
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

I was wondering about this too. I'm not sure though that it will see more waiting list changes... I'm pretty certain that it happens every year, it's just that this year people didn't know their results. It winds me up that people are still confused about this. It changed years ago, but the rumours are still being perpetuated and this isn't helped by schools saying the whole "if you want to come here we need to be your first choice" etc. I know what they mean, but they need to give more clarity... same for the LA...it should be big and bold at the start of any communication about moving school. Anyway, rant over! I hope everyone gets what they want in the end!
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Brackenboo wrote:I'm not sure if parents can move their choices around like that. It reads like you can only go on a waiting list for a school that was higher on your CAF that you didn't get. I know of a primary appeal that failed as the person had got a school they had placed higher in the CAF
I think you can get on the waiting list, but you can't appeal... I'm not sure though, I've just made sure that the CAFs have been in genuine order of preference, and so far have been lucky enough to get the first choice.
dodie102

Post by dodie102 »

It's a tricky one isn't it. I'm just wondering if we would have put Pates no 1 as my son has been placed in the top 150 but when we submitted the form he wasn't as keen as he is for Tommy's so we placed it no 2. Cue shock and horror by some of our acquaintances come results day. I'm sure we'll always wonder 'what if' but we went with our gut so we have to have faith in that.
Bells

Post by Bells »

You can request to go on the waiting list for any school in March. You will join with the late sitters, late applications, and other people who changed their minds on preference order.
Appeals are different from waiting lists; it would be difficult to prove why you want the school if it wasn't your top preference.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Different LA’s have different processes but usually the first step is that you can get listed on the waiting lists for higher preference schools.

At a later date you can change your application to add new schools or change the order. At this point you would be added to any waiting lists in rank order of the oversubscription criteria. This often causes upset as people find themselves slipping down the waiting list.

You can only appeal for a school that has declined your application.

You should be given this information with your school offer in March and you can also find it detailed on the LA website in the composite admissions booklet.

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/medi ... t-2021.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After you receive your school offer in March
Request to be placed on a waiting list(s)
 If you applied online, you can only use the portal to place a waiting list request for the schools you listed on your original application form. If you wish to apply for alternative schools than those previously listed please complete the online reply form.
 If you made a paper application you can complete the reply form enclosed with your offer letter or use the online reply from.
 If this is your first application please complete the “late” online common application form.
 Any requests need to be made by the closing date by Midnight Monday 8th March 2021.
 At this stage we cannot take individual circumstances or personal reasons for wanting the school/s into account. However if your address has changed or will have changed before Monday 8th March 2021 you must let us know.
 Your child’s name will be added to the schools waiting list and should places become available and if your child is next in line you will be offered a place. Your original school place will be automatically withdrawn and made available to others.
 You will be informed of the outcome after Monday 29th March 2021.
 If you have not been allocated your preferred school/academy in the waiting list round you will remain on their waiting list. This team continually allocates, as and when spaces become available in the schools, up until the end of the summer term. At which point, they are handed over to the schools. The list we provide to them must be kept until December 2021.