Anyone here for 2022 entry yet?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Brackenboo

Re: Anyone here for 2022 entry yet?

Post by Brackenboo »

How is everyone doing? Did anyone make it to any open days?
YankBritmum

Post by YankBritmum »

Brackenboo wrote:How is everyone doing? Did anyone make it to any open days?
We have managed two open events, Ribston, where eldest DD is, and Crypt. Having looked at Crypt for eldest DD (we didn't choose it as she was concerned of low girl numbers due to recent co-ed change), I thought youngest DD would be all about Crypt, I was right!

I believe that rankings have undergone a bit of a change, as a family we know who did the most recent 11+ advised that their DD got a ranking/place at DRHS, but did not get a high enough rank for Crypt! I think in the past, DRHS would have got you in for Crypt, so tends to suggest Crypt is getting more popular, probably since co-ed?? It is kind of the wrong news when we want Crypt! DD is pretty strong on VR and comprehension, but manages to freak herself out when time components come in for maths/NVR. Hoping we can do lots of focus on this and get her over it. I'm a bit torn about it all really, as I can only see Crypt working for her for GS, and if there is only one choice, I think we are going to need a lot of luck....... ugh
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

I'm not sure when/if the preferred schools have changed order, but yes, for admissions for girls starting this September I'd say it's Pates, Crypt, Denmark, Stroud, Ribston (most difficult to easier).

Ignoring Pates (different marking scheme) DD was in the top 200 for both DRHS and Ribston (rank was exactly the same) top 180 for Stroud and top 440 for Crypt. (Sorry about the 'top' just never sure whether to say above or below...top clears up any confusion!)

SHS and DRHS went to about the same rank on offer day, but girls generally received a better rank (I think?) for SHS (hence why DRHS is 3rd in my list above.) Crypt offered to 800 ish, but looking at DD's rank, it's more than double her Gloucester girls school ranking. This suggests that boys scored slightly better than girls overall, or there were more of them. It therefore follows that someone scoring a low but safe rank for any of the girls schools this year may not have been offered a place at Crypt on offer day.

I'm not sure if that's a "normal" situation or not...it definitely wasn't a normal year...no open events and applying before results are known, awkward travel etc. Hopefully it will be normal this year!

I'm also not sure what happened after offer day...a good number of the grammars had very few qualified candidates from the October test to pop on a waiting list so things may have changed since then.

Sorry, I can't help with STRS and Marling.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

I'd mostly agree with what 2Socks said. There is difference in cohorts through and there is a rumour (I saw on here somewhere) that the other schools do rank the kids differently with weightings in areas, but not in requiring a minimum score in each area like Pates. SHS and DHRS scores were close but they draw different catchments, DHRS more Glos/Chelt and north of the county, SHS takes fewer from Glos/Chelt and more from the south of the county so it's harder to compare. However, I know of a few who qualified at the bottom end for SHS who didn't for DHRS. Ribston takes a mix and sadly seems to be seen as the back up when it has many better attributes than some of the others, such a strong pastoral lead and facilities (large green spaces, swimming, new science blocks).

The new school in Leckhampton has thrown a few of the schools this year as many from that side of Cheltenham have opted for that rather than a trip to a grammar.

I'm guessing you've ticked all the boxes to share? I would take her to see all that she could go to, at the end of it, they all get amazing GCSE results (as you'd expect from a grammar). She may surprise you by loving another school. If you live south of Gloucester or on a Stroud bus route, look at SHS as the campus is intertwined with Marling and they all share transport and some spaces.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

My DD is currently in y7 at Crypt and one of her friends didn't qualify for Crypt and went to DRHS instead. They appealed at Crypt and she moved halfway through the first time.
YankBritmum

Post by YankBritmum »

Thanks for all the inputs.

2socks, that was really helpful to have details of current comparable rankings between schools from the last 11+ test. It was interesting to compare your data, with when my elder DD sat it in 2018 - she was top 150 for the 3 girls GS (Ribston did give us specific rank, 74), and was 180's for Crypt. Times are 'a changing' it would seem!

Polgara - yes, shared with everything! Problem I have, is I really don't see my youngest DD in girls GS, very different personality to her sister. Well, I guess we just see what happens come Autumn. I need to look more at local school offerings as well I think, weigh up all the 'for and against.' Someone mentioned All Saints Academy in Cheltenham to me the other day. We aren't in Cheltenham, but that side of town is accessible to where we are. Lots of research coming up!
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

YankBritmum wrote:Thanks for all the inputs.

2socks, that was really helpful to have details of current comparable rankings between schools from the last 11+ test. It was interesting to compare your data, with when my elder DD sat it in 2018 - she was top 150 for the 3 girls GS (Ribston did give us specific rank, 74), and was 180's for Crypt. Times are 'a changing' it would seem!
I'm not sure they've changed all that much...it is slightly concerning to me (DS likely to be taking the test in 2023) about the boys (or girls wanting co-ed) needing higher scores. If we take your DD's Ribston rank and compare it with the Crypt rank it again indicates that boys scored higher/there were more boys sitting the test. We'd expect her Crypt rank to be about the 150 mark if boys and girls scored evenly/had equal numbers sitting. No idea which it is, and there could be other explanations that I haven't thought about!

It's amazing how different the schools are and how much the kids have a preference. DD absolutely fell in love with DRHS, wasn't so keen on Ribston. DS wants Ribston to become co-ed...he loved it when we took DD (pre-covid) :lol:

Good luck to everyone!
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Yikes, my daughter only has eyes for co-ed (i.e. Crypt and Pate's) and they both sound very popular this year. Does anyone have a gut feel/anecdotal thoughts about whether Ribston or Denmark might better suit a 'STEM-loving nerdy tomboy' (her words)? Looking for a third choice for CAF form. DD is nervous about fitting in. Most of her pals are boys...
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Choppy, I don't think I can really help about the schools, from the open days in 2019 both seemed to have good science teaching, and both will have relatively new labs when your DD starts (assuming that the building at DRHS goes according to plan). Have you looked at GCSE results? I know it's not the same as actually looking around the sites, but have a look at the virtual open days/videos if possible. We went to visit Crypt, Denmark and Ribston in 2019 and attended virtual days in 2020...we felt that the virtual events gave us a similar impression to the in person events.
Also, I don't know where you are, but don't forget that we have a lot of great comprehensives in Gloucestershire, and although their results may not look as impressive on paper as the grammars, they take all abilities and I think their results indicate that they stretch the more able kids. I personally don't think that a child will do any better at grammar than at most comprehensives. Especially as in Gloucestershire it's a relatively small portion of the kids that go to grammar. I suspect it makes more of a difference in those counties where everyone sits the 11+.
In case that last para sounds insincere, where we are it's an hour to get to any comprehensive (at which we stand a chance of getting a place) compared to a 5 minute walk to Denmark or 20 minutes on the bus to Ribston/Crypt, and having spent 45 minutes traveling each way when I was at secondary, I'd rather my kids have as short a commute as possible. They can spend that extra time doing something they enjoy!
Hopefully you will get results back prior to submitting the CAF this year, so that will also help.
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Thanks, 2Socks, that's really helpful. We're on the Worcestershire/Gloucestershire borders and my gut feel is that DD would be just as happy at a local comp, as that too should have a decent sprinkling of nerdy boys for her to talk to. I hear you re commute. There are better things to be doing with that 90 mins a day. Thanks so much for your thoughts.