Pates/STR - any advice please?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2Socks

Re: Pates/STR - any advice please?

Post by 2Socks »

I've no experience of either school, but just wanted to say that if you are totally stuck maybe it's worth going back to the practicalities...is either of them easier to get to, either for the normal school day or for early/late drop offs and collections for clubs or trips etc? It sounds like you are choosing between 2 amazing schools, so I get the impression that you can't make a bad choice. Good luck!
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

I was about to say the same thing. They are both good schools so I would put the local one top.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

I think they are both good schools. Pate's felt more 'university like' - where they were expected to be independent & more unstructured in the learning. I wasn't sure that this would suit my DD (nor me if I'm totally honest).

I have a DD. We looked at Pate's but ultimately chose SHS over it. We liked Pate's but we both just felt that SHS was a better fit for her. Just more suited to her, where she felt more comfortable. So my advice would be to go with the school where your child felt most comfortable, most able to be themselves. A happy child will thrive.

Hope this helps & good luck.
dodie102

Post by dodie102 »

Thanks for all the replies. Supports our thinking. Just need the test day to be over with now.
starcrazy

Post by starcrazy »

I just wanted to offer a bit of reassurance on the sport front as my son is at STRS, and really isn’t a fan of team sports, to say the least. Within a few days he’d found a group of friends in his form with similar geeky interests; I think when teachers visit the boys in the summer term of Y6 to have a chat, they get a really good feel for where they’ll fit and try and make sure each form is a good mix of personalities and interests.
dodie102

Post by dodie102 »

starcrazy wrote:I just wanted to offer a bit of reassurance on the sport front as my son is at STRS, and really isn’t a fan of team sports, to say the least. Within a few days he’d found a group of friends in his form with similar geeky interests; I think when teachers visit the boys in the summer term of Y6 to have a chat, they get a really good feel for where they’ll fit and try and make sure each form is a good mix of personalities and interests.
Thank you. That's really helpful.
jearund

Post by jearund »

My son is in Year 7 at STR and is loving it. He too is a deep thinker, loves maths and is not at all organised! He's also very shy and I was worried might be daunted by Pates where everyone seemed to be very confident. In the event he narrowly missed qualifying for Pates and now, seeing him at STR, I'm really happy he's at the right school for him. Academically he's doing well. I think all the boys have realised it's very different from Year 6 where they were top of their forms. Now everyone is clever! But he's comfortable with that and isn't feeling under pressure (apart from hating having homework of course!). So I can't speak for Pates but would certainly recommend STR.
dodie102

Post by dodie102 »

Thanks for all the replies. My son did rank in the top 150 for Pates after all. Just about to fill in the form accepting STR. Am I being a muppet not asking to go on the Pates waiting list for the ‘best state school in the country’ which is also our nearest or are we right sticking with our instinct? Arghhh...
Eviewin

Post by Eviewin »

You’re not mad. You wouldn’t be mad to try to switch either, but I can understand why you made the original decision you did.
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

No, you would definitely not be mad to turn down 'the best school in the country'. What is best for one child isn't necessarily best for another. You wouldn't be mad to change either. Such a hard choice. Does your son not have a preference? Does he have friends going to either one?
My son qualified (but not high enough) for Pates but preferred STRS, and I knew he would struggle at Pates, whereas he is thriving at STRS. However, if I lived near Cheltenham and had a top 150 straight forward neurotypical child, I would go for Pates!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now