Results Entry 2021

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
starcrazy

Re: Results

Post by starcrazy »

LJandCJ wrote: Warwickshire ds here - we have been told to expect the results before the end of the school term! Nothing more definitive than that unfortunately, so seems like a similar sort of turn around time to what you guys are having.

I came on here nosing to see how long other areas were taking to get their results out to see if I can figure out more exactly how long it will be :lol:

It seems that the areas with delayed tests are taking longer to process results than those areas who sat in September. I hope they do give you a definite date to aim for rather than leaving you all in limbo!

I thought results were standardised by age on the day of the sitting, too.

Not long now. Hopefully the extra time will mean a smooth results roll out with no glitches, schools qualifying too few potential pupils or spreadsheet copy and paste errors!
Yellowhammer

Post by Yellowhammer »

starcrazy wrote:
LJandCJ wrote: I thought results were standardised by age on the day of the sitting, too.
The hard part of standardisation is not assessing the age of each child. It is determining what adjustment is necessary as a consequence of that age - and that changes every year and for every test, because the test itself is harder some years than others, despite the examiners best efforts, and the age profile across the whole group of children also differs year-on-year!

Determining the exact adjustment that is fair and appropriate depends on the cohort used. If all scores for all children in the Gloucestershire exam are used, the adjustment will be slightly different than if each individual school calculates the appropriate adjustment for the children in just its own cohort (everyone who shared with the particular school, rather than everyone who sat the exam) - that is because it is a statistical calculation that is used, not a fixed formula.

The schools do not share the approach that they adopt, so it is not possible to say exactly how an individual child's total score will be changed - and even how that will impact on their ranking position in one school compared to another.

A different adjustment would also result if the adjustment were to be based on all children in all areas sitting the same exam, and it is in any case different for say, numeric parts of the test (where age has less impact than school curriculum coverage) and vocabulary-based parts (where age standardisation has traditionally had the greatest impact).

Additionally, the individual schools can weight those different parts of the test differently. Typically they are reported to take more account of the verbal reasoning where tutoring and differences in school have somewhat less impact on actual performance in the test - and of course, that is the very part where the age adjustment is greatest.
Yellowhammer

Post by Yellowhammer »

No guarantees, but if you want to get a clue as to whether your child will get a place in March, these are the lowest known successful rankings pre-appeal in March 2019, March 2020:

Pates: 175, 182
DRHS: 318, 424
SHS: 436, 368
Ribston: 454, 547
Crypt: 803, 805
Tommies: 293, 340
Marling: ~340, 424

So, if your ranking is well above that level for your school of choice, you are in with a good chance; if you are near it - even below it but close - you still have a chance!

Good luck all
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

Ribston was 550 in 2019. (The result email for 2020 said they allocated down to 550 on allocation day in 2019)
Last edited by Legofan on Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
proudmumwhatever

Post by proudmumwhatever »

Yellowhammer's list is the ranks to get offers on allocation day so a bit less generous than those eventually getting a place after appeals and waiting list movements. The emails today should give you the eventual ranks admitted for the past few years but it is nice to know where allocation day went to.

Please post your ranks for all schools so we can pick up any human error and get it resolved Asap. Hopefully the schools have been cross checking furiously but no system is foolproof!

Hope you all get what you are hoping for, I'm not even sure what I am hoping for! :lol: wish we could have visited the schools.
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

I am also aware of some one who was allocated Marling on allocation day with a rank of 460 - 470.
monkeypops

Post by monkeypops »

Why am I checking my emails every 5 minutes already?! Roll on 2pm, hope everyone gets the results they’re wishing for. In any case, our little ones have done amazingly well - especially this year!!
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

While I know they won't come out till 2pm, I'm also checking emails repeatedly. Sent DC off, still oblivious. Even if someone does mention it at school now, they will only have a few hours.
Yellowhammer

Post by Yellowhammer »

Ginger40 wrote:I am also aware of some one who was allocated Marling on allocation day with a rank of 460 - 470.
Which is precisely why I qualified my comment with "known". Lots of people who enter the exam do not provide their results via this forum. The numbers are there as a general guide based on results that were shared.

For some people who are new to the process, a result in the 200's or 300's for a single-sex school might be a reason to feel that there is no hope of their child getting a place at grammar, let alone one in the 400's or 500's - and in some years, where CAF went in after results, they would not even have put any of the grammars on their form. Only this week, I have been speaking to a parent whose child is the first in their family to even enter the exam, and they honestly thought nothing higher than 150 would be acceptable to any school.

The order of magnitude of the numbers on allocation day is a good guide to how much confidence you can have, and should help reduce anxiety between now and next March for quite a large proportion of people. Those who are near the number, on either side, can prepare themselves for possible disappointment, but also start planning in case they decide it will be worth appealing should they just miss out based on recent years.

Final results provided by the individual schools do include outliers given places via the appeals process - and where there were strong mitigating circumstances, that can mean a much higher number (and no, I didn't misread the Marling number, and understand that was on allocation day, simply not reported via this forum).
Mumto3Girls

Post by Mumto3Girls »

Just popping on during a (rare!) free moment to say I hope it goes well for all our DCs today. We can be genuinely proud of them whatever happens as they have shown grit and determination and exceptional maturity facing an external examination for the first time in their lives. Many Year 11s could take some tips from them!

I am just glad that I am teaching all afternoon to stop me spending my time refreshing my e-mails instead of working!! (I will, of course, then get straight online and try and work out the results for both my DD's - I will have a LOT of information to process before I get home!)

:D