Results Entry 2021

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MUMTOHAYA

Re: Results Entry 2021

Post by MUMTOHAYA »

Sorry just checked my mail , it’s STR- 354, Marling - 321 and Crypt - 597. Best wishes for your son!! We all are in the same boat !!
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Just going back to a previous post... someone was wondering whether we should expect to see any difference in the number of out of county kids starting in September.
From my DD's results and a couple of others posted here I'm pretty certain that there's less OoC who sat the test. Essentially in previous years the rankings for girls at Ribston, DRHS and SHS have all been pretty close together. This year my DD was within the top 200 for the Glos grammars, but within the top 180 for SHS...a difference of 15 places. I've seen other posts with significantly higher rankings (more likely to get a place) for SHS than the Glos girls grammars. I suspect this may mean that fewer OoC girls sat the test. We know that SHS and Marling have the biggest intake of OoC kids.
I'm thinking that this may mean a greater overlap of girls with DRHS and Ribston, and may mean that they may go further down the rankings than usual.
Obviously I don't have any inside information, just something I've been pondering even though it's pretty much irrelevant to me!
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

The Stroud gap (about 50 places in the lower ranks) is interesting, but I don't think we can put it down to lack of out of area applicants. The numbers that shared with SHS are v similar to the previous 2 years, so no evidence of a loss of applicants. Thinking about our results 2 years ago, there was a 50 place gap between my son's Marling and STR scores so presumably we are just seeing similar in the girls schools.

Regarding your second point, I don't think the girls schools will need to go further down the rankings - I get the impression that this is a boy heavy year, so more girls with be vying for the girls- only places.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

2Socks wrote:Just going back to a previous post... someone was wondering whether we should expect to see any difference in the number of out of county kids starting in September.
From my DD's results and a couple of others posted here I'm pretty certain that there's less OoC who sat the test. Essentially in previous years the rankings for girls at Ribston, DRHS and SHS have all been pretty close together. This year my DD was within the top 200 for the Glos grammars, but within the top 180 for SHS...a difference of 15 places. I've seen other posts with significantly higher rankings (more likely to get a place) for SHS than the Glos girls grammars. I suspect this may mean that fewer OoC girls sat the test. We know that SHS and Marling have the biggest intake of OoC kids.
I'm thinking that this may mean a greater overlap of girls with DRHS and Ribston, and may mean that they may go further down the rankings than usual.
Obviously I don't have any inside information, just something I've been pondering even though it's pretty much irrelevant to me!
Other conversations in this thread have around 30+ differences between SHS and Ribston/DRHS scores. I did notice though that while they have similar shares, SHS (apart from a blip in 2019) hasn't been going as low as DRHS over the last 3 years. Both DRHS and Ribston dropped significantly last year - the influence of Crypt going co-ed?

And we thought we'd have nothing to talk about till March :lol:
stressederic365

Post by stressederic365 »

Hi all, new member and not sure what DDs and DSs are, clearly not Direct Debits and Detective Superintendents! :D FYI my daughter got 280 for DRHS and Ribston and 260 Stroud. That's the CAF order so we are fairly confident she will get one of these. Forgot we shared results with Pates so got an email a day later saying she was 600 for Pates but never had it on the CAF anyway.

Another variable in the mix for March is this - we live in the mysterious Leckhampton triangle and all the parents around us that we talked to at time of applying to take 11+ and then share results were unsure of the status of the new Leckhampton High School so they threw their hats into the ring for the grammar schools. Since then Leckhampton is now a reality, they had open days at Balcarras and have a head teacher and proper plans. Of the 6 kids we know who passed the 11+ only 3 are going to accept a grammar place, the other 3 will send their kids to Leckhampton now. Reasons: travel, didn't get Pates (and travel), Leckhampton run by Balcarras will be just as good etc. These 3 had Ribston, Ribston and Tommies (qualification score not top 150). You may find other kids in this part of Cheltenham choose a similar path. Personally we feel very lucky with the choices we had anyway.

Anyway, while we did have a tutor once a week during Lockdown, it was because the local school was rubbish and offered nothing and as both working parents we felt she needed some education. While I wouldn't say tutoring is essential, I'd recommend familiarising your child with the question types, exam strategy and do a mock. You can buy a past paper online cheaply and run the mock at home so your kid learns to work within the time constraints of the exam.
MUMTOHAYA

Post by MUMTOHAYA »

Hi DD means Dear Daughter and DS means Dear Son , in regards to tutoring, my son didn’t have any, I just made him to do cgp papers, few eleven plus Mock papers , and couple of external mock exams.
But as it’s my first experience with eleven plus, I felt little bit tutoring might have helped us with few exam techniques, identify my child’s strength and weakness and boost up his score a bit.
Again, it’s up to individuals re tutoring !! I have another 4 years to think about it for my younger one :lol: :lol: