Results Entry 2021

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Glos18

Re: Results Entry 2021

Post by Glos18 »

I think you can see some patterns in the allocation stats. Looking at first choices for 2019 & 2020, some went up and the others down.
Pates: 182, 192
STR: 175, 152
Crypt: 204, 172
Marling: 182, 154
Ribston: 173, 182
Stroud: 162, 201
Denmark: 206, 164

You can see the switch in popularity in SHS and DRHS which was echoed in the switch in how far down the ranks they went. You can also see that STR was less popular in 2020 than 2019 (although that is the same for all the boy choices bar Pates), which may go some way to explain why they had to go further down the ranks. STR had 181 first choices in 2018 which may suggest a downward trend in popularity, in which case there is hope for those with a borderline rank!
MUMTOHAYA

Post by MUMTOHAYA »

We never knew how many kids from other county would have written and shared their scores with Gloucestershire county, but will prefer and get allocated in their own counties.

Until March 2020 fingers crossed !!

During June, one of the parent I know belonging to Birmingham wanted to register her child for Sep 12th exam but I heard the Gloucestershire county didn’t allow as the exam falls on the same day and hence scores can’t be shared.

I am not sure if it’s usual .
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MUMTOHAYA wrote:We never knew how many kids from other county would have written and shared their scores with Gloucestershire county, but will prefer and get allocated in their own counties.

Until March 2020 fingers crossed !!

During June, one of the parent I know belonging to Birmingham wanted to register her child for Sep 12th exam but I heard the Gloucestershire county didn’t allow as the exam falls on the same day and hence scores can’t be shared.

I am not sure if it’s usual .
The Birmingham exam and the Gloucestershire exam are not exactly the same, so sharing of results is not possible. A couple of yearsor so ago, someone posted a list of the exam groupings according to which exam had been purchased; Gloucestershire was / is in the same group as Chelmsford County High School, Redbridge, Reading and Slough, I think.

In order to be eligible to apply for both the Gloucestershire grammar schools and the grammar schools of the KE Foundation, not only would separate registration be required with both Gloucestershire and the Foundation (as it is at the separate schools / areas, even to share within the other grouping), but also the two exams would have to be taken.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

I remember reading on here someone suggested that as normally they would fall on different dates, to use one as a mock. That was quickly shut down by everyone else :lol:

I'm currently trying to manage DC expectations/excitement. They went from not bothered to LOVING a school (which did not help my anxiety in the run up to results day). They keep asking me how definite it is they'll get the school they want. I've been honest and showed them the figures. While we are quietly confident rankings would need to move by 80+ for their first choice and over 250 for their second choice, this is an odd year! I think they are still enjoying me not saying 'Have you done a 10 min test? Do a ten minute test' every day!!! At least we now only have 2.5 months to wait and a lot of that will be Christmas and a short month.
jamal1974

Post by jamal1974 »

Glos18 wrote:I think you can see some patterns in the allocation stats. Looking at first choices for 2019 & 2020, some went up and the others down.
Pates: 182, 192
STR: 175, 152
Crypt: 204, 172
Marling: 182, 154
Ribston: 173, 182
Stroud: 162, 201
Denmark: 206, 164

You can see the switch in popularity in SHS and DRHS which was echoed in the switch in how far down the ranks they went. You can also see that STR was less popular in 2020 than 2019 (although that is the same for all the boy choices bar Pates), which may go some way to explain why they had to go further down the ranks. STR had 181 first choices in 2018 which may suggest a downward trend in popularity, in which case there is hope for those with a borderline rank!
Very interesting stats. Didn't know these stats were available to public. In any case it confirms that most schools (and boys schools STR, Marling and mixed Crypt) went further down the ranks in 2020 for some unknown reasons (which is aligned with allocation data also). One would have thought that there would have been significant ranking improvement to some other schools to offset this, but that is not the case, hence, to me, March 2020 declining ranking figures remain a mystery. I can only hope, being selfish, that these trends continue in March 2021! :)

Latest info from STR today is that last year (Sept 2020 in take), the lowest rank allocated a place by the Local Authority was 358 after waiting list and reshuffling (Excluding any Appeals etc as that info, as mentioned above, is not that relevant). So encouraging news!
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

The figures are on the gloucestershire admissions page. Another factor that may come in to play this year and potentially help some of those more on the borders is that Leckhampton High School (run under the Balcarras flag) is opening and taking their first intake. I know that for some they prefer Balcarras to the gloucester grammars so I wonder if this school will have a similar appeal for those in Leckhamton?
MUMTOHAYA

Post by MUMTOHAYA »

I heard STR's waiting list went down to 383 for September 2020 intake.

Was the figure 358 mentioned above given by STR itself ?
jamal1974

Post by jamal1974 »

MUMTOHAYA wrote:I heard STR's waiting list went down to 383 for September 2020 intake.

Was the figure 358 mentioned above given by STR itself ?
Yes Sue Bain from STR confirmed that last year it went down to 358 after waiting list shuffling etc. I didn't ask her the count AFTER the 'Appeals' as that could be misleading/not relevant as any one, for example even at 500, may have a valid argument/reason for the appeal and win it.

May be the 383 is after the appeals? you got it confirmed from STR or in this forum?
Thx.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Someone needs to email all the schools asking them to confirm for the last 3 years

Qualified rank
Allocation rank on March 1st
Allocation rank after reconsideration
Lowest rank admitted from waiting list at September 1st (which hasn’t been subject to successful appeal)

GCC will be less likely to have the final figures as the grammars are academies and their own admissions authority.

Anyone with time on their hands?
kingdad

Post by kingdad »

MUMTOHAYA wrote:My child has got 354 for STR, 596 for Crypt and 323 for Marling, please can anyone guide me what is his possiblility in getting into one of these, out first choice is STR, second is Crypt and third is Marling (purely based on distance)

Does anyone know what was Tommy's cut off previous year and this year for qualifying ?

Does anyone know what was Tommy's waiting list cut off last year (2020 intake) ?
For a moment I was confused as my son also got the same rank. Was that a typo? :)
My son's ranks:
353 - STR
596 - Crypt
320 - Marling
and its the same order in CAF.
We are currently living in Oxford and planning to buy a house near the school so eagerly waiting for March 1st to know which school we would get!