Results Entry 2021

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Naryu

Re: Results Entry 2021

Post by Naryu »

Thanks for the advice, I don’t think that we’ll bother. She’s very happy with her choice of Ribston and I wouldn’t want anything to change her mind! It does seem an odd thing to do, if it was before the CAFs went in I could see that they might want to encourage applications but it’s a bit late for that now.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

It actually makes me quite cross. If the test is untutorable, all this is, is a celebration of how bright they are. If the schools accept that there is some work required in terms of practice and preparation and therefore its a celebration and recognition of that as well, then it's unfair to all of those who did practice, prepare and achieved great results to achieve ranking. It's like saying to those between 150-400 ranking yeah, you've passed but you're still not good enough. Especially when the difference in marks may be only one or two across the whole paper. And you've announced to everyone who attends and who doesn't but does get a place in the school, where their ranking was.

(Equally I can understand not wanting to do something for everyone who qualified, especially as not all of these may get a place allocated in March).

So you may conclude I don't think this is a great idea :lol:

Much better to have something immediately post reallocation in March.
jamal1974

Re: Results

Post by jamal1974 »

Yellowhammer wrote:No guarantees, but if you want to get a clue as to whether your child will get a place in March, these are the lowest known successful rankings pre-appeal in March 2019, March 2020:

Pates: 175, 182
DRHS: 318, 424
SHS: 436, 368
Ribston: 454, 547
Crypt: 803, 805
Tommies: 293, 340
Marling: ~340, 424

So, if your ranking is well above that level for your school of choice, you are in with a good chance; if you are near it - even below it but close - you still have a chance!

Good luck all
Hi All...Any idea why the March 2020 allocation went down for most schools? Particularly interested in STR which moved from 293 in 2019 to 340 in March 2020. Why would it be if most others schools also dropped! Also no new school places introduced, so v confused on this drop. DS obtained 331 ranking for STR so wondering about his chances for STR which is first in the CAF. His 2 brothers are in STR already so a logistical nightmare if he needs to be in a different school.

Many Thx.
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

jamal1974 wrote:
Yellowhammer wrote:No guarantees, but if you want to get a clue as to whether your child will get a place in March, these are the lowest known successful rankings pre-appeal in March 2019, March 2020:

Pates: 175, 182
DRHS: 318, 424
SHS: 436, 368
Ribston: 454, 547
Crypt: 803, 805
Tommies: 293, 340
Marling: ~340, 424

So, if your ranking is well above that level for your school of choice, you are in with a good chance; if you are near it - even below it but close - you still have a chance!

Good luck all
Hi All...Any idea why the March 2020 allocation went down for most schools? Particularly interested in STR which moved from 293 in 2019 to 340 in March 2020. Why would it be if most others schools also dropped! Also no new school places introduced, so v confused on this drop. DS obtained 331 ranking for STR so wondering about his chances for STR which is first in the CAF. His 2 brothers are in STR already so a logistical nightmare if he needs to be in a different school.

Many Thx.
I think the best advice is to take these figures with a pinch of salt. According to the email from DRHS they offered to 406 in March 2019, so that's a huge difference between what's known by people who visit the forum and the actual rank offered. I think your best bet is to call the school to find out the true figure rather than worry about what's here.
MUMTOHAYA

Post by MUMTOHAYA »

In such case, based on the email received from STR this year (dec 2020) , places were allocated until rank 340 in March 2020, but I am not sure in 2019, anyone who received email in March 2019 from STR could help in letting us know how far they went down in allocation or wait till tomorrow to get information from school as 2socks mentioned , I am quite nervous with high levels of anxiety! it’s a new information to know that Denmark went down to 406 in March 2019
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

My son was admitted to STR in 2019. Mrs Bain said in an email that they qualified the top 366. A mum posted in early March to say her DS had managed to secure a place with a rank of 292 and she'd called GCC and they said they had gone down to 293 on allocation day.

There are so many factors that can skew rank in any given year. Perhaps a lot of high qualifiers preferred Marling or Crypt last year. A rank of 331 could be ok but equally could not. However, if your DS doesn't qualify, it isn't a disaster. Many of us don't have a choice about having kids at the same school due to the single sex nature of most grammars and it works out fine. You may even find that the alternative school suits your DS better.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Few reasons for ranks changing:
-Children choose non-grammars that are more local. E.g choose school same as friends/ shorter bus route. Just decide grammar isn't for them.
- Children share results across many counties grammar schools, e.g Birmingham etc
- People decide on private education.
jamal1974

Post by jamal1974 »

Brackenboo wrote:Few reasons for ranks changing:
-Children choose non-grammars that are more local. E.g choose school same as friends/ shorter bus route. Just decide grammar isn't for them.
- Children share results across many counties grammar schools, e.g Birmingham etc
- People decide on private education.
Thanks all for the feedback. Really appreciated.
Below info is from STR for past years for march allocations and all have a valid reasons, apart from the march 2020 which went down to 340!! All the reasons mentioned above were equally valid/present in 2018/2019 as well so just wondered why would they have a much bigger impact in 2020 allocation specifically!
Also I am not sure that these figures are on the day of allocation, so the actual ranking they went down after the waiting list movement may be even lower? (after appeals may not be relevant/valid as if someone at 500 decided to appeal and got successful that won't be representative of anything).

September 2020 entry - Down to rank 340
September 2019 entry - Down to rank 293
September 2018 entry - Down to rank 295 # (as STR increased the PAN)
September 2017 entry - Down to rank 265
September 2016 entry - Down to rank 275 * (as Crypt increased the PAN)
September 2015 entry - Down to rank 205
September 2014 entry - Down to rank 223
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Perhaps looking at number of preferences may show whether Marling and Crypt are perhaps getting more first preferences over STR?
MUMTOHAYA

Post by MUMTOHAYA »

I reckon crypt might definitely attract as it is one of the two co-eds in County.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now