Relocation to Cheltenham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sonic010

Relocation to Cheltenham

Post by Sonic010 »

Hi All,

I need some advice regarding relocating to Cheltenham. My DC is in top 150 for Pate's and we are thinking to shift near Pate's. Currently we are living outside of Gloucester.
We have no idea about Cheltenham. If you guys can suggest good locations near Pate's to shift then it would be great help.
Thank you
dodie102

Re: Relocation to Cheltenham

Post by dodie102 »

Morning Sonic010,

My DC is also in the top 150 but we aren't taking the place and we live in Cheltenham.

That's quite an open question. Prices in Cheltenham are quite high. What's your budget? What are your priorities for your family home? Are you dead set against any kind of bus journey for your child?
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

Congratulations to your DC! The answer to your question varies on a number of things. Do you have any other DC to think about? What kind of budget to you have? The area immediately surrounding Pates isn't great, you could maybe go for Rowanfield / St Mark's if you want to live within walking distance. A lot of families congregate around places like Charlton kings and Leckhampton because of schools and they are family areas, although they are expensive areas as a result. If you don't have any other DC to think about, and you have the money, then you might want to live more centrally eg Montpellier, Tivoli, Suffolks etc. (Nice architecture, boutique shops etc). For a lower budget maybe Warden hill / Hatherley / Reddings.
Sonic010

Post by Sonic010 »

dodie102 wrote:Morning Sonic010,

My DC is also in the top 150 but we aren't taking the place and we live in Cheltenham.

That's quite an open question. Prices in Cheltenham are quite high. What's your budget? What are your priorities for your family home? Are you dead set against any kind of bus journey for your child?
Thank you for your reply. Money should not be problem. We are interested in a detached house near the school but heard near by area is not very good around Pate's. I want to save the traveling time so that DC can use that time for other productive work.

Which location is nearest and family friendly?I don't mind little bit of car driving to drop and pick up DC.
Sonic010

Post by Sonic010 »

Glos18 wrote:Congratulations to your DC! The answer to your question varies on a number of things. Do you have any other DC to think about? What kind of budget to you have? The area immediately surrounding Pates isn't great, you could maybe go for Rowanfield / St Mark's if you want to live within walking distance. A lot of families congregate around places like Charlton kings and Leckhampton because of schools and they are family areas, although they are expensive areas as a result. If you don't have any other DC to think about, and you have the money, then you might want to live more centrally eg Montpellier, Tivoli, Suffolks etc. (Nice architecture, boutique shops etc). For a lower budget maybe Warden hill / Hatherley / Reddings.
Thank you, this is helpful. DC is the only child and I am working from home. So we are quite free to move, however, my husband will be traveling for work. Ideally, we should be living near motorway towards Bristol.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Have you considered churchdown? Good for M5 and easy to the right side of Cheltenham?
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

Sonic010 wrote:Hi All,

I need some advice regarding relocating to Cheltenham. My DC is in top 150 for Pate's and we are thinking to shift near Pate's. Currently we are living outside of Gloucester.
We have no idea about Cheltenham. If you guys can suggest good locations near Pate's to shift then it would be great help.
Thank you
Congratulations!

As has been noted, the immediate area around the school is not ideal, but you don't need to go too far away to get something nice - though the prices can get very high quite quickly.

There is the newer estate over the other side of GCHQ that has some quite big houses e.g. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/72767211#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (which sort of show the prices that you can easily start getting into)

BUT - the thing to watch out for in that area is the plan to build the "cyber park" on the fields just beyond there which is going to really mess the traffic up (assuming it get's built).

You then have the St Mark's area the other way - and towards the rail station (if that is a consideration) - they tend to be older houses, but as a result probably have bigger gardens as usual.

The "other side of the A40" brings in Benhall, and then Up Hatherley - again you can get some pretty expensive things appearing if you browse Rightmove - e.g. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/75222744#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (note that house sold in less than3 weeks, which indicates what can happen at the moment)

As has been noted, it you are happy to be a bit further away then Churchdown or Shurdington might be an option.

There's a lot of choice - I think my main comment would be - going "the other side of the town centre" or out towards Bishops Cleeve or Prestbury might not be ideal as the traffic getting across town to the school in a morning could be a bit of a nightmare.

Hope that helps.
Sonic010

Post by Sonic010 »

Polgara_Glos wrote:Have you considered churchdown? Good for M5 and easy to the right side of Cheltenham?
Thank you. Yes, we are considering Churchdown but as we have very little knowledge about the area so not quite sure about it.
Sonic010

Post by Sonic010 »

cheltdad wrote:
Sonic010 wrote:Hi All,

Thank you
Congratulations!

As has been noted, the immediate area around the school is not ideal, but you don't need to go too far away to get something nice - though the prices can get very high quite quickly.

There is the newer estate over the other side of GCHQ that has some quite big houses e.g. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/72767211#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (which sort of show the prices that you can easily start getting into)

BUT - the thing to watch out for in that area is the plan to build the "cyber park" on the fields just beyond there which is going to really mess the traffic up (assuming it get's built).

You then have the St Mark's area the other way - and towards the rail station (if that is a consideration) - they tend to be older houses, but as a result probably have bigger gardens as usual.

The "other side of the A40" brings in Benhall, and then Up Hatherley - again you can get some pretty expensive things appearing if you browse Rightmove - e.g. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/75222744#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (note that house sold in less than3 weeks, which indicates what can happen at the moment)

As has been noted, it you are happy to be a bit further away then Churchdown or Shurdington might be an option.

There's a lot of choice - I think my main comment would be - going "the other side of the town centre" or out towards Bishops Cleeve or Prestbury might not be ideal as the traffic getting across town to the school in a morning could be a bit of a nightmare.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much for your time to reply me. Yes, this is quite helpful to understand the area specially the traffic situation.
dodie102

Post by dodie102 »

I wouldn't discount some sort of bus journey for your child. It can be a very social and creative time for the children to get to know other students who they wouldn't normally interact with. I know my daughter enjoys many aspects of her bus journey to and from school and she has a lot of tales to tell about her 'bus mates' and she's proud of the independence that she has shown in doing it every day. It will be a nightmare dropping off a Pates every day and their journey might even be quicker on the bus. I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the areas near to Pates but you can absolutely expect it to be choked with traffic whichever direction you approach from. Parts of Cheltenham that are less pricey but have lovely houses in are Fairview/Pittville/Prestbury which are to the east of the town. Charlton Kings is pleasant but expensive due to Balcarras catchment. Good luck in your search.
Last edited by dodie102 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now