Relocation to Cheltenham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sonic010

Re: Relocation to Cheltenham

Post by Sonic010 »

dodie102 wrote:I wouldn't discount some sort of bus journey for your child. It can be a very social and creative time for the children to get to know other students who they wouldn't normally interact with. I know my daughter enjoys many aspects of her bus journey to and from school and she has a lot of tales to tell about her 'bus mates' and she's proud of the independence that she has shown in doing it every day. It will be a nightmare dropping off a Pates every day and their journey might even be quicker on the bus. I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the areas near to Pates but you can absolutely expect it to be choked with traffic whichever direction you approach from. Parts of Cheltenham that are less pricey but have lovely houses in are Fairview/Pittville/Prestbury which are to the west of the town. Charlton Kings is pleasant but expensive due to Balcarras catchment. Good luck in your search.

Thank you. Will keep this in mind.
help needed

Post by help needed »

A friend of mine takes her son from Hucclecote it takes around 15 mins drive or there is a bus available. Nice family area.
Sonic010

Post by Sonic010 »

help needed wrote:A friend of mine takes her son from Hucclecote it takes around 15 mins drive or there is a bus available. Nice family area.
Thank you for the information.
ABA20

Post by ABA20 »

Hi All,
I am planning to relocate to Gloucestershire with family so looking for suggestions about Churchdown and Brockworth area.
Thanks
JayC

Post by JayC »

For what its worth...when I first moved to Cheltenham about 10 years ago I was first renting an apartment in that area (near the big roundabout), when I told most of the people at my work where I was staying the reaction I got was "Why are you living there? Its the worst part of Cheltenham". From what I now understand Hesters Way is not regarded as a very good area, it does look a little run down compared to other parts of Cheltenham I suppose.

I don't really go to that area too much so I can't comment on how true or not the above is, however I did a quick search on uk crime statistics and the post code there came up with 348 crimes in November 2020, this was 7 times more then my area which is about 15m away by car. I would guess if you put a Montpellier post code (one of the most affluent area's of Cheltenham) the crime rate difference will be even higher.

The point I'm making is you probably want to do your research and consider different things. Talking to long time locals may also help.

Hope that helped.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

ABA20 wrote:Hi All,
I am planning to relocate to Gloucestershire with family so looking for suggestions about Churchdown and Brockworth area.
Thanks
We live in Coopers Edge in Brockworth and it's a nice area. The only downside for us in terms of grammar schools is none of the grammar school buses currently go through the estate so it's about a 15-20 minute walk to the bus stop.
ABA20

Post by ABA20 »

Thanks Brackenboo for sharing your views. I will consider your point and look for property near to bus stop as my DC going to join grammar school.
Markedward

Post by Markedward »

Hi @brackenboo,

We are planning to relocate to Coopers Edge area.
Please can you let me know what's the bus that need to be taken to go to Pates. I mean who operates the bus and the nearest bus station from coopers edge
Also what's your view on David Wilson homes built there also please. Is the build quality good?
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Hi, we didn't look into Pates sorry. I would imagine you will need to get your child to the main road through Brockworth. My DD is at Crypt and I know buses for Denmark Rd, Ribston and Crypt leave from their. Their is also the number 10 stagecoach that goes to Cheltenham, but not sure if it drops anywhere near Pates. Abbeymead might be another option to look at for bus stops.

We're in a Bovis house and have been here for about 8 years and have had no problems.
Markedward

Post by Markedward »

Thank you Brackenboo. No worries.
I think there is a bus from Toby Carvery Brockworth to Pates too. But I wrote to igobus to get that confirmed.

That would have been really great if any buses pass thru Brockworth area. May be the count of pupils who goes to grammars is not great from here that's why they are NOT operating any buses pass thru Brockworth area?

Please can anyone let me know on the David Wilson homes build quality?
Also if there are any Bovis homes for sale too any where in Coopers Edge or in the whole Brockworth area. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Last edited by Markedward on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now