Allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Polgara_Glos

Re: Allocations

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Did anyone watch the Crypt thing tonight for the waiting list?

We’ve already had a Q&A with the head of DC’s school, they are so excited.
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

We did get the Crypt invite but chose not to watch it.
We also had a Q&A with head at by daughters allocated school,
Perhaps it’s the same one :D
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

NB: it's not applicable to me, but a friend was just saying that the seats on the coach that her son will be on are nearly sold out already. You've all been so helpful to me I thought I would pass it on just in case!
Teach1960

Post by Teach1960 »

Friend’s son who was ranked 214 for Pate’s was offered a place on Allocation Day.
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Teach1960 wrote:Friend’s son who was ranked 214 for Pate’s was offered a place on Allocation Day.
Wow! That's a significant drop compared to most recent years. I think we were expecting a drop, but that could be cutting it close with their waiting list.
dodie102

Post by dodie102 »

I’ve heard of at least 5 Pates places not being taken this year by those within the top 150 and those are people who did put it on the CAF. I don’t even know that many Y6 parents apart from my son’s friends so I wonder if it’s the same elsewhere?
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

I know of a couple who qualified but are heading to a Gloucester grammar, but I don't know where they were in the rankings.
snoflake

Post by snoflake »

Can anyone help me get my head around what might happen with SHS- in that the qualifying standard was 447 and they offered down to 441. Does that mean they can only have ranks 442-447 on the waiting list? What if none of them want/need to go on the waiting list for whatever reason and the school then has places that become available?
Will they need to fill those places with appeals or will they consider qualifying more girls?
Any thoughts?
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

snoflake wrote:Can anyone help me get my head around what might happen with SHS- in that the qualifying standard was 447 and they offered down to 441. Does that mean they can only have ranks 442-447 on the waiting list? What if none of them want/need to go on the waiting list for whatever reason and the school then has places that become available?
Will they need to fill those places with appeals or will they consider qualifying more girls?
Any thoughts?
I agree they've cut it fine with the waiting list, but we can't assume that there are only 6 girls on the waiting list. The 447 was only for those who sat the October test, those who sat the late test can be added to the waiting list if they met the qualifying standard. Also some of the girls who are currently holding a place elsewhere may have changed their minds and be added to the waiting list. Equally, none of those girls may wish to be on the waiting list. Essentially we have no idea until the end of the month when reconsideration is over.

As for what they may do if they fall below PAN, that's up to them. They may take more appeals, or they may lower the qualifying score... that's entirely up to them as far as I am aware. Ribston were below PAN on allocation day and I haven't heard that they have lowered their qualifying standard, and unlike Crypt, they didn't ask those who qualified to reconsider their choices, so I suspect they are looking for appeals to fill their places. That may change though if they fall too far below PAN, possibly?
As we've mentioned above though, 3 of the grammars which accept girls have gone significantly lower than normal. Crypt seems to have very few who could be added to the waiting list compared to normal, and although DRHS are in their 'usual' situation, they could also struggle due to the small number of girls on the waiting list elsewhere.
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

Snoflake, the school are not obliged to take extra pupils if they go below PAN, however, they probably can't afford to do this. I remember from previous years someone saying their DD had actually moved down the waiting list for RH after reconsideration because of the late testers etc.

I don't think there will be a change to cut offs - the Crypt situation was v different. If any schools are below PAN they will fill up on appeals. From memory the Stroud schools have been quite generous with appeals, so if you have some decent evidence then I reckon you have a good chance!