Allocation Day Statistics, 2021 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Purtonboy

Re: Allocation Day Statistics, 2021 Entry

Post by Purtonboy »

Hello,
I am new here. Interesting to see the allocation day statistics.
Is there any chance to know what was the lowest rank offered for Marling this year. My son was rank 490 and I am wondering is it possible to know the probability of him getting a chance in the waiting list. Any insight appreciated. Many thanks.
snoflake

Post by snoflake »

Purtonboy wrote:Hello,
I am new here. Interesting to see the allocation day statistics.
Is there any chance to know what was the lowest rank offered for Marling this year. My son was rank 490 and I am wondering is it possible to know the probability of him getting a chance in the waiting list. Any insight appreciated. Many thanks.
From another thread on here it looks like the lowest rank offered to was 424 for Marling.
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

Hi, I know of some one who was ranked around 450 and was offered a place at Marling, if you phone Marling admissions they should be able to tell you
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

Hi, I know of some one who was ranked around 450 and was offered a place at Marling, if you phone Marling admissions they should be able to tell you
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Legofan, I'm with you about the schools claiming that you should put them in first place, but I don't see that the figures give evidence for that. All the grammars show higher first and overall choices than in previous years, but given that people didn't know the results of the test, I don't think that's a surprise. After all, presumably if you are going to let your child sit the test you are wanting to put at least one grammar on the CAF, and given that approximately half of those who sit won't qualify, you would expect about 2x as many applications this year compared to normal.
I'm sure there is confusion about the link between the test and the CAF. However, you can appeal non-qualification, but only if you have actually applied to the school, so I wonder if that accounts for some of those 30 who applied for Pates without a qualifying rank in 2020?
CommonPeople I'm also aware of people who used the grammars as a backup in previous years...I have a friend in Worcester who wanted their good local comprehensive, but wasn't sure if they lived close enough. They weren't keen on their safe comprehensives, so put Crypt down as a safe second (2018, not this year!) It may be that others have done the same, hence why the number of grammar first choices may be less than the number who sat the test. I don't think we have final numbers, but Crypt had about 1950 shares this year.
PurtonBoy, The 424 that we have here comes from the forum, so Marling may have gone lower. I'm assuming that the 590 was a qualifying score? To find out for certain how far down they've gone, I think you need to call the school. Hopefully in a couple of weeks you should find out your waiting list position.
Purtonboy

Post by Purtonboy »

Thanks very much everyone. Much appreciated. I will phone the school tomorrow. Our son is sort of accepted the place offered in his mind, but still have some wish if he get a place in Marling. Our dilemma is not to give much hope that he may get a chance at the same time not to set his mind 100% here yet.

Any idea how many places normally go on waiting? Assuming 450, there can be around 40 people ahead of him.
SwimmingUpstream

Post by SwimmingUpstream »

I know of people who put Marling first and Pates 2nd because they wanted the more local school. Presumably that holds true for other schools/ areas too.

We listed our schools in genuine choice order- with RHHS 2nd and Crypt 3rd, even though if DD hadn't got a place at Ribston she was very unlikely to get a place at Crypt. It was the order she wanted. We won't be the only one.

Also although the raw numbers were higher, if you look at the proportion of 1st choice vs total 1-5 on the CAF, the only school which increased the % putting it 1st choice was Crypt going from around 25% to 29%. The others all reduced their proportion, but not by as much as RHHS which went from 40% to 18%. Crypt also more than doubled the number of people putting them somewhere on the form.
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

Purtonboy wrote:Thanks very much everyone. Much appreciated. I will phone the school tomorrow. Our son is sort of accepted the place offered in his mind, but still have some wish if he get a place in Marling. Our dilemma is not to give much hope that he may get a chance at the same time not to set his mind 100% here yet.

Any idea how many places normally go on waiting? Assuming 450, there can be around 40 people ahead of him.
If the current highest admitted DS is 450 and yours was ranked 490 then it would only be that many on the list if everyone in between had actually applied to go on the waiting list - which is highly unlikely as many have probably settled for whichever school they got.

So you might be closer than you think - best to call the school and see what they say.
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

I think I also read on this forum that after appeals / waiting list movement Marling ended up going down to rank 500 last year, so definitely worth a phone call to discuss, could still be in with a chance
Purtonboy

Post by Purtonboy »

Thanks Very much for your kind replies. Those are very helpful and give some hope. I am going to speak to school shortly and update here.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now