Summer School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cazien

Re: Summer School

Post by cazien »

Secondary schools used to have a 'transition day' where future students were introduced to the school. They had tours of the school, met their future classmates, head, teachers etc and did fun activities with a couple of teachers/sixth formers. Don't know if the summer school could be replacing this.

Y11's also are invited to Summer Schools to meet the teachers of their chosen subjects and, if moving schools, an introduction/tour of the school. They are also given 'preparatory' work before starting school.
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

cazien wrote:Secondary schools used to have a 'transition day' where future students were introduced to the school. They had tours of the school, met their future classmates, head, teachers etc and did fun activities with a couple of teachers/sixth formers. Don't know if the summer school could be replacing this.
I think most of the schools are doing the transition day. DD will be attending DRHS on 1st July assuming no Covid issues! We've not heard anything about a summer school though. I'm not sure if it's something that they normally do... I don't recall seeing it anywhere, but they could have taken it off the transition information on their website during Covid.
starcrazy

Post by starcrazy »

As far as I can tell, the summer school is an extra provision this year to try and level out any gaps caused by the long periods of home learning during the pandemic, funded by the government.

Ribston have a transition day on July 1st too, I’m glad that seems to be going ahead for all schools as usual this year.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

This might help?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uthorities

Something in there about using the money for the benefit of the school or for pupils at other maintained schools (sorry, haven't read the whole thing, just noticed the email in which it was a link appear in my inbox).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx