STR lunch options

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eviewin

STR lunch options

Post by Eviewin »

Help request to current STR parents! I could do with knowing some specifics on lunchtime arrangements - questions:
- how long do they normally get for lunch (appreciate that COVID schedules might be different)
- I’ve seen the online menus on the website, but it says not everything is available all the time. If boys don’t like the cooked main meal options, what food is consistently available every day? (paninis, jacket potatoes etc?)
- how crazy busy are the queues, do the boys end up rushing eating after queuing for ages or is it more manageable?
- what do boys do if going to lunchtime clubs?
- any experience of the school / caterers managing allergies? Are they good at this? If taking packed lunch, is this social death or just normal?

We do have some specific needs that I will talk to the school about, but just wanted to understand the basics before we do so.

Thanks in advance!
Glos18

Re: STR lunch options

Post by Glos18 »

Hi. So things are really different at the moment. They have shortened the lunch break because of covid. I will try to answer your questions based on pre-covid times.

Lunch time up to an hour. Other than main meal there are always paninis/ wraps. They rarely have baked potatoes. Queues - variable. You don't need to rush to eat. They label food eg gluten free, vegan etc. A few people eat packed lunch. If going to a lunchtime club then they tend to eat lunch at break time, but sometimes they will have time for both. Depends on the club.
Hope that helps!
Eviewin

Post by Eviewin »

Thank you Glos18, that’s really helpful (and reassuring)!
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

I have a DD & we go to a different school but covid times has changed lunch times a lot!

My DD has had surgery on her oesophagus & therefore needs to eat slowly & drink a lot. Lunch times have shortened to c30-40 minutes. DD's school is currently eating outside...there are not enough chairs / tables so they picnic on the ground...it's not the best eating situation for us....probably worth checking out covid times too as I can't see some measures being reverted back that quickly at the rate we're going!

DD's school has a range of 'standard items' available as well as the menu options. Items are available at morning break too (helpful if they have clubs at lunchtime). Bringing a packed lunch is fairly normal.
starcrazy

Post by starcrazy »

They have a 20 minute break in the morning and at the moment, 40 minutes for lunch. Often my son will eat a substantial amount at break time and more of a snack at lunchtime (pre-Covid this was so he could join lunchtime activities as well as because he was hungry by break time after an early start.)
He says it’s about an even split between bought lunches and packed in his form.

The caterers do label food as df, gf etc and are quite helpful - they asked my son to just let them know in the morning if he wants a sandwich so they can make sure one he can eat is put aside for him as he is df and gf so quite limited (I’m not sure how often the main meal offering if allergy friendly as he doesn’t eat them.) The queues don’t seem excessive.
Eviewin

Post by Eviewin »

Thanks both, it’s useful to understand the current restrictions and the implications.

Starcrazy, good to hear that the caterers have been helpful, and that packed lunches are quite common - so we have that option as a back up plan.