Students out of their usual year cohort

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Thumper2021

Students out of their usual year cohort

Post by Thumper2021 »

Hi - I was just wondering if anyone knows if the Glos grammar schools have allowed pupils to sit the 11+ when they are a year older than they should be - I.e sit the exam in Sept when they turned 11 in the August so the previous school year. I know it’s weighted so should in theory be fair. The websites weren’t clear.
Last edited by Thumper2021 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Re: Students out of their usual year cohort

Post by hermanmunster »

Only thing they say is:
Entry to Secondary School/Academy
In Gloucestershire, nearly all children transfer from primary school/academy at the age of 11
when they are in Year 6. There can be exceptional circumstances - for example, when
children transfer to secondary school earlier or one year later, but this would involve detailed
discussions and agreement with parents or carers and relevant primary and preferred
secondary schools/academies.
2Socks

Re: Students out of their usual year cohort

Post by 2Socks »

There's a section in the DRHS admissions policy about over and under age girls. It gives a bit more detail...

Please note that in normal circumstances the School does not accept students into a year group for which they are over-age. If you still wish to apply for entry for over-age student, please note that the application will be referred to School’s Admissions’ Review Group. The School Admissions’ Review Group will require evidence in exceptional cases as to why the student is out of cohort. Being summer born is unlikely to be considered as an exceptional circumstance on its own. In any out of cohort application, the School Admissions’ Review Group will make its decision on the basis of the circumstances of each case and in all cases in the best interests of the child concerned. The School’s Admissions’ Review Group will take into account the views of the Headteacher of the School.

Obviously I would check with whichever schools you may wish to share results with because they may not all be the same. Also, I don't really know what the above actually means in practice...does the SARG assessment happen before the test? Before application? After applying? Not sure, but would like to find out if anyone can pass it on.

Normally with age standardisation students are assessed against others from the same birth month... I suppose this could be an issue, but I don't actually know how CEM does the standardisation.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now