School bags

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2Socks

School bags

Post by 2Socks »

I'm sure this is asked many times every year, but are there any brands / styles of rucksacks to consider / avoid? I'm thinking for DRHS particularly.
Personally, I think I know what she needs (good padding, big enough but not too big, water bottle pocket, some internal pockets for organisation, water resistant) but I'm also conscious that my parents bought me a sensible rucksack that was most definitely not fashionable. Unfortunately for me, it was bought with durability and longevity in mind, so I was stuck with an ugly bag (that led to some teasing) until I was old enough to earn my own money to buy a replacement.
As such, I'm trying to get an idea of fashions rather than practicalities and most of the posts I've found look at the latter rather than the former.
Additionally are there any requirements for PE bags (other than size and a carrier to put muddy shoes / clothes in?!
Future2020

Re: School bags

Post by Future2020 »

Hello!
We’ve just gone a sports rucksack, branded sports one, but I do have a son so I’m sure most boys have gone for similar as less boys option.
I’m not too sure how practical it will be, be I’m u sure how many text books etc they will be carrying.
Sports bag, we’ve got for duffel, holdall type bag. We’ve gone for medium size, but they do have a fair bit of kit with rugby boots, hoody, tracksuit etc!
Although may be a waste of money this year, as when they start in Sept, they are just continuing to wear PE kit into school on PE days.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

I'd suggest a Fjallraven Kanken or an Eastpak. My DD goes to SHS but those are the popular & practical ones. I raised an eyebrow at the price but DD is entering year 10 now and the KanKen is still going strong (bought for y7) & she still likes it. I'd beware of picking anything too brightly coloured / patterned so it stands the test of time!
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

I have also just bought a Fjällräven Kanken for my year 10 at Crypt so I second that as a popular choice!
mini.me

Post by mini.me »

Herschel, Vans, Nike are on the shortlist here. Leaning towards Herschel though. Decisions!!
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Own brand mountain warehouse rucsac has been great
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Brilliant, thanks all, I've given her a few options, now the final decision is hers!
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

I showed DD a couple with good reviews on amazon. She picked the one she liked and that was that!
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Thanks all, she's chosen and seems happy!