Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:44 am 

Hi all. So we are a week away from the test and I’m starting to lose my mind with it all.

DD is a smart kid, we’ve tutored her ourselves, we’ve paid for a tutor to support her. But lord alive, she is so not ready for this test.

Exams aren’t my strong point and clearly she follows me in this. I’ve talked through exam techniques with her - but she still insists on doing it “her way”.

We’ve done a number of mock papers and results have been varied from a really low 43% to 69% (most are around 63-66).

I know this isn’t enough but even I find the cpg papers HARD. I did one of the papers (the one she for the lowest mark on) and she actually got 2 more marks than I did!!!! I consider myself to be a pretty smart person - I’ve got a degree (completed in last couple of years) And I run my own business.

I don’t really know what the point of my post is. I think I’d just like to hear from others who are in the same position.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:27 am 

Hello, my daughter didn't do any proper mocks and was mostly self tutored. She generally got in the 60s for the papers we did at home and got into all of the schools except for Pates. I really think it comes down to on the day how many of their favourite sections/ question types are there. How they cope with something completely different. She had a section we had never covered and whether the test environment is too much for them x

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:25 pm 

Hi

Sorry you feel anxious, hopefully sharing has maybe helped a little.

You've supported your DD with tutoring. Even if she doesn't get into a GS, it will help her & set her up well. Worth remembering that some parents just put their children in for the test - without any tutoring or prep - so she'll be in a better position than they will. I do think it is partly about coping with the situation & exam technique. If you can help stay calm for the next week then that will help. Not much point trying to cram in at this stage.

All you can ask is that she gives it a go & tries her best, what will be will be. If she's getting in the 60's I'd say she has a reasonable chance of a grammar school but not Pates. If she doesn't then there are good schools around & she will still have your support & do well. A grammar school is not the be all & end all!. We're all different, there are many roads in life to take & you can still get to where she wants to get it with a different route!

Hope that helps & best of luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:40 pm 

My elder DD who sat the test a couple of years ago, said that the mocks I gave her and the couple I had her do externally, she felt were all harder than the actual test. Tutored from home, she narrowly missed Pates, qualified for all others.

Younger DD sitting it this September, I have no clue which version will turn up on test day! She may get anxious and overwhelmed, or she may be fine. Having her do a 'group mock' with a tutor which I think will prepare her for the environment, and hopefully this will make her calmer for the real thing. As another poster mentioned, a lot depends on if a favourite section appears, if this appears early for my DD, I think she will 'reset' and hopefully 'crack on.'

Good luck to all sitting, I can't wait for this to be over, and all the books are going!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:52 pm 

We're in the 60s too, less in maths. Definitely not grammar-or-bust for us, but will give it a go, just to sort of scratch that itch, you know? My DD is hellishly stubborn so refused tutors, but she has done some 10-minute CGP tests and a mock test.

FWIW, I went to a girls' grammar and did 'ok...ish'. My mates who didn't all did far better in life and ended up with great jobs, almost certainly because they had engaged parents - that seems to be what REALLY matters and makes all the difference...)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:52 pm 

Hello Anxious-Mum

I know how you feel and this is our first time with 11+ for our DS.

I've read many posts to this forum and found a few anecdotal posts that were encouraging:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51660
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57977
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54105

Obviously no-one knows what will be in the exam this year, and what last year's disruption to schooling will mean. We've been doing tutoring over the last year and I know I've struggled to complete some of the mocks as well as our DS. I hope it's enough... :-)

What schools are you looking at?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:22 pm 

Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing - I really appreciate it. We are in a very a similar situation with our daughter, right down to marks and spurning exam technique tips to do it "her way". After a long run up with home and private tutoring it's a nerve wracking time. It might not be the be all and end all but it feels like quite a weight all the same. Have to say DD seems to be taking it on her stride better than me which is a relief as it can't be easy for those actually sitting the exam!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:11 pm 

I've started having horribly plausible nightmares about roadworks on the day, turning up at the wrong place and/or the wrong time etc. Aaaagh! Roll on Saturday afternoon...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:19 pm 

Choppy wrote:
I've started having horribly plausible nightmares about roadworks on the day, turning up at the wrong place and/or the wrong time etc. Aaaagh! Roll on Saturday afternoon...

oh definitely! Have fingers crossed for your all - no traffic jams :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:20 pm 

We left 15 minutes before we needed to last year. We were walking, so no risk of traffic... and we're only about 5 minutes walk away :lol:

In all seriousness though, if anyone is driving, have a think about where you will park before Saturday morning. According to DH the roads around Denmark were hectic with some rather stressed parents! Obviously that's not an issue with some of the schools.