Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cohort details?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 am 

Hi,am new to the forum. Huge relief after DD finished the exam. Does anyone know how many children appeared in the Cohort for the Gloucestershire CEM exam? What percentage in each paper can take her to Pates?

Post subject: Re: Cohort details?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:28 am 

On the CEM exam we don’t ever get to find out percentages, and even if we did it would change on a yearly basis. To be certain of a place at Pate’s your child needs to come in the top 150 out of all the children who have opted to share their results with Pate’s. I know this isn’t much help, but there’s nothing anyone can do expect be patient until the results come out :D

There is one feature of the exam marking which applies to Pate’s and not the other schools which is that the children need to achieve a minimum score in each element of the test. This means that sometimes children with a more balanced profile in their abilities can score higher for Pate’s than children with more marks that were distributed unevenly.

The other thing to bear in mind is that all seven of the grammar schools are excellent and that their end results reflects the ability of their intake. Children do very well at all of the schools, but Pate’s will generally have a greater proportion of the cohort achieving straight 9s or almost straight 9s because it selects the highest performers at age 11. So it’s not Pate’s or nothing, and many posters here will have children who score better at GCSE and A Level than the Pate’s average because the 11+ isn’t a prophetic vehicle propelling kids to one fixed destination or another. Some children are also happier in single sex schools.

This was a long way of saying that the only way to answer your question is to wait for a month or so and then you’ll get a bunch of emails which will tell you how your child performed relative to the cohort. It’s annoying to wait but I found the wait for results far, far less stressful than the wait for the test: it’s done and can’t be changed now, so it’s time for you and your dc to enjoy their last year of primary. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:08 pm 

smartmum wrote:
Hi,am new to the forum. Huge relief after DD finished the exam. Does anyone know how many children appeared in the Cohort for the Gloucestershire CEM exam? What percentage in each paper can take her to Pates?

I believe around 2700 registered to take the exam.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:29 pm 

I know two children weren't in my son's class, one of his friends mentioned that's two people they did better than :lol: I know Crypt mentioned 250 people in their letters, don't know if that was the morning session only?

Also remember some people will sit a test in one county and their share their results with others, perhaps especially Gloucestershire as their are no catchment limitations.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:05 am 

Remember a lot of children this time might be sitting the medical test if they were unable to attend due to having a confirmed case of COVID or awaiting the PCR test result of a suspected case.

That said, there are always some children / parents that change their mind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:10 pm 

icantthinkofagoodone wrote:
smartmum wrote:

I believe around 2700 registered to take the exam.

Has this been published anywhere? I've had another parent ask how many did the test in Gloucestershire this year and didn't know if this information had been released?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:28 pm 

The number 2700 was mentioned somewhere - I remember reading this, but can't remember where!!

Have another question - after reading some comments on here about how DC performs in each school - do the schools all publish their own lists of the ranking system for children they accept? Or is it just one ranking list? I'm thoroughly confused (sorry, first time 11+ parent :oops: )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:35 pm 

Carrie4 wrote:
The number 2700 was mentioned somewhere - I remember reading this, but can't remember where!!

Have another question - after reading some comments on here about how DC performs in each school - do the schools all publish their own lists of the ranking system for children they accept? Or is it just one ranking list? I'm thoroughly confused (sorry, first time 11+ parent :oops: )

Each school has it's ranking list made of children that shared with them, their score and their Pupil Premium or EHCP status. How they calculate the rankings (e.g. weighting on each section) is not revealed. We only know Pates require a minimum on each section.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:48 pm 

Last year's data will be harder to work from as we don't know the impact covid have. I've dug through my previous emails and for the test in 2019 I found the following:
1800 shares with Pates
2000+ shares with Crypt
674 shared with Denmark road
819 shared with Stroud High School.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:46 pm 

Apparently the figure from Denmark was a typo... somewhere on here is the actual figure, but it was more like 950... Not sure whether it matters but in case anyone is compiling stats!