Results 2022 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Brackenboo

Re: Results 2022 entry

Post by Brackenboo »

It was 182 in 2020. I think with your score you should be quietly confident.

I wonder whether Pates have qualified more in case out of county sharers decide against moving/ long travel for their children
Anusha

Post by Anusha »

Thank you Hermanmunster and Brackenboo.

Thanks.
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

That’s similar to my thoughts on why they’ve qualified more. It doesn’t really impact them and gives them a bigger pool to fish from if they need to (particularly as crypt appear to be more popular now it’s coed) It also might be that was the number who “passed” each individual section this year.

I was also looking at the Warwickshire forum and there was a link on one of the threads to a FOI request to the council where they listed the CEM standardised scores in order for a couple of years. Of the 3,000 ish that took the test, the difference between the person who was 150th to 240th was about 5 points and and to 340th was about 10 points.

I think it’s fairly safe to assume that Gloucestershire children are similarly distributed which just goes to show how close it is, and it’s almost a bit of a lottery when you get to the cusp points.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Legofan wrote:That’s similar to my thoughts on why they’ve qualified more. It doesn’t really impact them and gives them a bigger pool to fish from if they need to (particularly as crypt appear to be more popular now it’s coed) It also might be that was the number who “passed” each individual section this year.

I was also looking at the Warwickshire forum and there was a link on one of the threads to a FOI request to the council where they listed the CEM standardised scores in order for a couple of years. Of the 3,000 ish that took the test, the difference between the person who was 150th to 240th was about 5 points and and to 340th was about 10 points.

I think it’s fairly safe to assume that Gloucestershire children are similarly distributed which just goes to show how close it is, and it’s almost a bit of a lottery when you get to the cusp points.
That's fascinating. I told DD when others said 'we were top 150' they only probably scored a few more questions correctly.

Its so hard for the numbers qualified, I mean STRS seems to have qualified significantly more than they will take compared to Crypt.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

When Crypt qualified 850 in 2019 they told me they had 10 people on the waiting list in September. From the email they sent it implies they only want to qualify those with a realistic chance if getting in. Whereas STR have qualified over 100 more than they needed last year.
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

Anusha wrote:Thank u so much Legofan.

Pates is our first choice as it is the closest.

Leaving 2021's scores and judging by the table posted , should we take 175 as the last possible rank offered to Pates ?

Thanks.
Sorry, I didn’t realise your child’s ranking.

Put pates first you’ll almost certainly get it. Put your next favourite second (STR or Crypt) and if you don’t get pates you’ll get that.

What you have to consider is are there 14 children ahead of your child that will choose:
One of the other grammar schools
Go private
Go to a grammar school in another county
Choose a comprehensive
Have their parents muck up or forget to fill in the CAF

Over the 4 years I’ve been in this forum pates have always gone to at least 170.

I think whilst it is not guaranteed, you can be optimistic.
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

Brackenboo wrote:When Crypt qualified 850 in 2019 they told me they had 10 people on the waiting list in September. From the email they sent it implies they only want to qualify those with a realistic chance if getting in. Whereas STR have qualified over 100 more than they needed last year.
Re str qualification, I wonder if they are trying to boost their pp numbers? All the grammars have some kind of allowance where if you are pp then you can get a place as long as you have qualified. With a lot of schools last year, there were hardly any people who qualified but didn't get places, which makes the pp rule pretty meaningless. By increasing the qualification number, you 'capture' more PP students.
BusyandConfused!

Post by BusyandConfused! »

Anusha wrote:Thank u so much Legofan.

Pates is our first choice as it is the closest.

Leaving 2021's scores and judging by the table posted , should we take 175 as the last possible rank offered to Pates ?

Thanks.
Bit confused about what you're asking about Pates and 175? They will almost definitely go lower than 175. I know in 2018 (for 2019 entry) they offered to 175 in March, but then by Oct had gone to 185. That is a far higher number than in the 2 years since (185 in March 2020, 195 after appeals etc...). And last year was 214 in March and 230 after appeals etc...

So if your child has ranked 175 I think you can be fairly confident. And difficult to know how much of an anomaly last year was, but I think it would be realist they might go into the 190s in March, if not lower. Hope that makes sense?
Anusha

Post by Anusha »

Thank you all for your replies and being such a helpful group. It has definitely made our preferences clear. Hopeful wait till March.
YankBritmum

Post by YankBritmum »

I do think those looking to move to the area could have a big challenge on the housing front! It may not apply to all areas of the county but I know people who have been trying to rent and buy and the amount of people chasing one property is horrendous! 20 to 30 people after one rental! A friend had put six offers (bidding over!) before she got an offer accepted on a purchase. Agents say lack of inventory is the problem. We moved in March and definitely the number of houses up in price ranges I was searching for, was way up, compared to what is out there now. Interesting times........
Brackenboo wrote:It was 182 in 2020. I think with your score you should be quietly confident.

I wonder whether Pates have qualified more in case out of county sharers decide against moving/ long travel for their children
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now